Chapter Twenty-Six

I had many such instances where I completely embarrassed my whole existence. That one time, when I froze on the stage, giving my first ever speech. The one where I heard my crush was going to propose to me, and it turned out to be another girl with the same name as mine. There were a few less embarrassing and a few more awkward than the others. But none of them were as humiliating as trying to kiss someone I was hell-bent on disliking.

What made me more restless was that I had made up my mind to never involve with Jake. And there I was, sitting on his bed replaying that god-forsaken moment between us. The worst part of that entire situation was - it was me who initiated that moment. What the hell was I thinking? And why the hell did I do that?

And the way he rejected me was just the cherry on top. But somehow, I was thankful he did that. Otherwise, I would have regretted that moment for the rest of my life or not. Ugh! the way he made chaos out of my thoughts.

My brain was scattered all over the place as I tried thinking about how to escape from there. I couldn't breathe the same air as Jake. It was getting too much intense. I stayed rooted in my place, looking at the rigid figure of Jake, just standing there with his back facing me. I rubbed my face with both hands in frustration. It was my queue to recollect whatever self-respect I was left with and get the hell out of his presence.

Taking in a shaky breath, I stood up from my spot. "I-I should probably go."

I heard a deep sigh coming from Jake, though he was still not looking at me. The thought of him telling everyone how pathetically I made a fool of myself formed knots in my stomach. I wanted to cry, or scream but I'd embarrass myself if I did that in front of him.

Distracting myself for a second, I fished out my phone from inside my jeans pocket. There were so many missed calls from my mom and Seb. They must have been freaking out like hell- I thought, making my way towards the door.

But before I could turn the doorknob, I felt another hand blocking it. Jake was standing beside me, leaning on the door frame. There was an unpredictable look on his face, which was more like an annoyed frown. Was he going to humiliate me for making a move on him?

"Where are you going? Did I tell you to leave?" He asked, knitting his eyebrows. The guy looked hot with almost all his expressions, not to mention his upper body was still on full display.

I cursed myself mentally to stop thinking anything apart from running away from that curly-haired guy. "I need to leave. Seb must be looking for me. We were supposed to leave this place by midnight." I thanked all the gods in heaven for not stuttering.

"No one is looking for you. I told Seb, you're with me, and he must have left already. This party is not his choice of place." He leaned on the door looking at me seriously and, crossed his arms around his bare chest.

"You told Seb that I'm with you?" I asked rather harshly. The thought of all the embarrassment I would have to face in front of him. Jake's reputation precedes him. What would he think about me? Do I care?

"Yes," a flat reply came from him.

"Whatever, I still need to leave." I gestured towards the door, but the guy didn't budge from his place. He took a few steps in my direction, looking deeply into my discomforted eyes.

"Calm down," he said as his built self towered over my frame. "I will drop you. Just wait here." His words sounded more like a command. And for some reason, I couldn't deny his offer.

I could hear some shuffling across the room as he put on a white t-shirt. He closed the dresser and headed towards the door. I had no option but to follow him.

After all, I still needed to apologize for my earlier behavior and convince him to keep it with himself.