Chapter Five

After getting lectured for five minutes straight about punctuality and the importance of discipline in college, Mr. Andrews finally let me, and the guy beside me, settle in for the class. He looked unfazed by all the ramblings professor gave, which wasn't a surprise to me. I spotted an empty seat on the front row, obviously not paying attention to the person beside me.

"Hey, Amy," The voice sounded familiar, and indeed it belonged to none other than the nerd guy I met yesterday.

"Hi, Elijah, " I replied in a low voice, not to be loud in the middle of the class. We share a small smile and focus back on the professor.

The class continued, and the next fifty minutes went by with me trying to catch up with the lesson going on. Much to my displeasure, the lecture was boring. I still noted down everything. All the while, I could feel someone digging holes at the back of my head. I tried to be subtle, but it wasn't when I turned back to meet those black orbs. He was looking at me. I could feel it, but the moment I turned, he averted his gaze back to the front.

That was creepy as hell.

By the time we made it to the last class of the day, I was exhausted and wasn't very pleased with my schedule for the week. Who said college life was easy. But I could see Elijah wasn't complaining. I could use some of his notes. The professor continued with the slides after, taking a quick introduction from me.

After what seemed like ages, the class ended. While I was packing up my bag, sharing small talks with Elijah, who was explaining to me about the process of issuing books from the library, I felt someone's presence behind me. When I tried ignoring it, I heard a small cuffing to grab my attention. I turned back only to be face to face with him, and much to my curiosity, he wasn't showing any expression.

"You have a great choice of friends, Henderson," he said smugly with an amused look on his face. "Aren't you both adorable, nerds?"

Was he trying to mock us for no reason? What an actual jerk?

"What is it to you?" I replied dryly. "Last time I checked, I didn't even know your name."

For a moment, I saw his jaw tightening, but he quickly recovered.

"It's Jake," he said, and I saw his lips tugging upward in a grin.

So I finally had his name, and he introduced himself. It couldn't get more interesting, I thought.

"So, Jake, did you have something to say?" I wanted him to finish whatever lame comment he wanted to say.

"There's a party this Saturday you should come," he said without any expression. "And you can bring your nerd friend, too."

"Wait- what..?" I couldn't grasp his words. But before I could speak anything else, he left, smirking all the while.

"He didn't tell the venue, though," Elijah said with a glint of humor, but my thoughts were elsewhere.

Did he invite me to a party?