Chapter Forty-Six

Monday morning, I was still carrying a hangover. The amount of high a kiss can give you was beyond my understanding. My thoughts got hijacked by the remembrance of Jake's tantalizing touches. Even though a day had passed, the mere memory of it left me breathless.

I was scared is an understatement. I was terrified. There wasn't a single word in my mind to call it other than a crazy fantasy. A lot of new possibilities were forming up in my heart ever since Jake showered me with those tender touches and that breathtaking kiss. God, I felt giddy the whole time. It was probably fate that brought us together.

For the first time, I had written a whole chapter on a kiss. Every word I wrote laced in so much passion that I could feel the sensation of Jake's lips once again on mine. Jake was a jerk, no doubt about that. But when he was with me, he was a passionate and caring guy who knew exactly how to treat his girl.

His girl, a smile crept on my lips with the thought. I settled at my usual place in the Mathematics class with my heart thumping wildly against my chest. No! It wasn't due to the anxiety of the test. It was the excitement of facing a curly black-haired guy. When did I start behaving like a high school girl?

My eyes were fixed at the entrance the entire time. A frown appeared on my face as students kept filling the theatre room, but there was no sign of Jake.

"Hey, Amy! all the best for the test. I hope my notes were helpful." Elijah greeted me with his usual sweet smile. He took the seat beside me, which I was saving for Jake. But of course, if Elijah wanted to sit beside me, I wouldn't tell him not to.

"All the best to you too, Eli. And thanks for the notes. They did help me a lot." I said, returning his smile. I couldn't help but feel terrible about it. After all, if Jake wouldn't have prepared notes for me. Only Elijah could have been my salvation.

"Let's start with the test, shall we?" Professor Barlet's announcement pulled me back into the class. I kept tapping my feet and fiddling with the pen. My patience was slowly wearing out, and disappointment started crawling on my skin. 'Why has he not come to the class yet?' I thought, and the frown on my face deepened.

Twenty minutes into the test, Jake hadn't appeared for it. I willed all my concentration to stop thinking about him and complete the test. Jake might join in the last fifteen minutes, and he would still score an A, but I might probably need fifteen more minutes to come anywhere near to that. I shook my head and put my mind into Calculus.

The test ended, we handed over our papers and headed outside, yet there was no sign of Jake. He missed the test, and the thought that it might impact his grades made my mood distorted. On Saturday night, when he left, I could sense trouble in his eyes. There had been some reason why he didn't show up for the test, and I wanted to know what it was. More so when I was getting anxious to meet him. As the day came to an end, that feeling only grew stronger.

Me: Where are you? Call me.

I sent a couple of such messages to him but didn't receive even one response. Why was he not responding? I was getting restless as the evening fell, and I was back in my dorm. The day started on a dreamy note but was turning into a nightmare. Maybe I was getting way too much excited for just a kiss. 'Just a kiss for him, but it was your first kiss,' my subconscious boomed.

After pacing the room for god knows how much time and rearranging my dresser, I finally realized none of them were calming me down. The thought that he might be regretting the kiss and avoiding me knotted my stomach. But then why would he miss out on his test for a kiss if it meant nothing. Just as I was struggling with mental turmoil, Leah walked into the room. She threw her bag on the bed and looked towards me with knitted brows.