Chapter Seventy-Three

I was sick to my guts, and from what I could make of Jake's appearance, he didn't seem to be doing great either. It took one impulsive moment to ruin everything that wasn't very stable, but whatever was slowly developing between us had been crushed. Tension surrounded the inside of the car, as we both remained silent the way back.

After Brinda got discharged from the hospital, we dropped her off at the Retirement house. Jake had been cold the whole time, not to Brinda but me. What he said earlier about us taking a step back was still stuck in my throat. I found it too much to take in. How could he decide that over something so stupid?

Only if he knew that Seb had forced that kiss on me, it probably wouldn't end well. It wasn't even a kiss in the first place. Jake's stubbornness to not let me explain myself was only burning me with more anger and frustration.

I took a glance at Jake's stiffened side profile. He appeared ten times older than his age with his tousled black curls, the bags under his eyes accompanied by the sleeplessness. The blood patches over his knuckles didn't fail to make me wince on his behalf either. The guy didn't function like regular youngsters. The uneasiness on his face was evident, the way he kept his eyes locked in front almost mechanically as if he was at a breaking point, and one look my way would be enough to crumble the walls around him.

I clenched my fists on my lap, looking away from him because if I didn't, I would end up crying again. The urge to hug him tightly and ease out some of his wariness was palpable, but I subdued it for the moment.

My train of thoughts halted as the car came to a stop. I was so lost in my head that I didn't notice we weren't on the college campus. Instead, we were into the underground garage of his apartment building. Jake was still holding the steering as if he would hit the ignition any moment.

"You were supposed to drop me at my dorm," I said, giving him a confused look. His face was still devoid of any other emotion than tiredness. He didn't have much sleep since last night, and the way he was having nightmares still reflected as a fresh memory.

"I need to collect a few things from my apartment," he said curtly, unclasping his seatbelt a little too abruptly as if I had caught to his unclustered emotions.

His coldness was driving me crazy. "Aren't you spending the night at your apartment?"

"I'll stay at the frat house for a few days," he stepped out of the car and headed towards my side. I was still gathering up to his words when he opened the door for me. I stepped out of the car but kept staring at him. He was avoiding my eyes. As we made our way for the elevator doors, he pinched the bridge of his nose and sighed. "I'm sorry if it's trouble, but I need to get my laptop and some fresh choice of clothes."

His distant behavior felt like a whiplash. I knew how it would burn my insides to see Jake with any other girl, now that I was sure about how much I felt for him. Maybe, he was feeling the same, but instead of showing me his jealousy, he acted cold.

How romantic! I rolled my eyes.

We occupied opposite corners of the elevator. Jake positioned himself across from me, looking anywhere but not me, and nerves twisted my stomach. He leaned against the mirrored wall as the elevator began to ascend. His dark eyes fitted to the screen showing the floor numbers as if to distract himself from me. My hand fisted the pendent Jake had put around my neck, and out of nowhere, tears prickled my eyes.

Before I could pull my overwhelming emotions together, a stifle left my throat. I couldn't hold back the tears anymore. The anger, the hurt, and Jake's indifference towards me all made my heart heavy until a gasped sob slipped past my lips.

Jake pushed away from the opposite side and stalked up to me. I swallowed a gasp and stilled, looking up to him. His imposing figure towered me, and for the first time that evening, his eyes fell on my face. He brushed away my tears ever so gently with his cold fingers. "I told not to cry, Amy. I can't see you crying."