Chapter Nineteen

My attention was still on Jake's retreating figure, the way he swaggered out of the cafe as if he wasn't the rudest a minute ago. Sometimes I wonder, why all the main characters in my novels are that unpleasing to deal with in real life.

"So, you guys already met?" Sebastian's voice pulled me back into the cafe. But my mind couldn't grasp what he was saying, thanks to a certain someone.

"Huh," I gave him a confused look.

"I'm talking about Jake." He was back to his calmer self, and I somehow started liking his presence.

"Yes, and might I add, I wish we had never crossed paths. Jake is a jerk and not just to me but practically all the people I come to have liked." I added the last part without giving it much thought.

Sebastian gave a throaty laugh, which was the first thing that made me smile since I went to the cafe. He was the kind of guy my mom would let me be friends with, and I wouldn't complain either. There was something about him that told me he was a keeper.

"You will get used to him." he shrugged. "The Jake I knew was even more difficult to deal with," he mumbled to himself, but I heard him anyway.

"I would never get used to his cockiness." I rolled my eyes.

"Right, and I would date Billie Eilish," he retorted with his boyish grin. His funny side kicked in, and I could get used to that.

He was busy with his assignment, and I was trying to write at least one good scene. But for some reason, I wasn't feeling very motivated, and every single word I wrote seemed so forced and lifeless. When did Jake become so dull in my writings because he was supposed to be full of spark? I thought. And that was my cue to stop right there until my imagination run wild once again.

"So, Amy, " Seb's voice interrupted my stalling mind. "What do you usually write? If you don't mind me asking," he added.

I had already decided to leave the place, but a little conversation with a guy who was the complete opposite of the Jerk wouldn't be so bad. The only thing that made me think was whether to reveal my second self yet.

"Usually my thoughts and some random fanfics, nothing special." I settled for a lesser lie. After all, I did write those. I didn't have any problem sharing my poems and proses with the world, but I wasn't ready yet to blow up my cover as a romance novelist. If my mom got to read one of my books, she would go berserk. She wouldn't be happy with all those steamy romances I have put together in my novels.

"I would love to read them sometime," he said. "Also, I wanted to ask if you would come with me to the party tonight." he quickly added without changing his calm expression as if he didn't just ask me out. Wait, did he ask me out? I was thinking a lot, too soon. Did I want him to ask me out?

I looked at him for straight sixty seconds. I might have mistaken his words.

"Don't look at me like that. I'm not asking you out. It's just that I hate these parties, but I think if you come with me, I'll hate it a little less. And I could introduce you to my literary club friends. You could join the club if you want. You will learn so much from them." Seb said and waited for my reply.

"Thanks, Seb, that's nice of you. I think I'll go with you." I said with a smile, finally pulling my thoughts together. The offer wasn't bad at all. It was a super win-win deal. I get to go out with a nice guy and meet his literary friends who might have similar interests as me.

"Cool, please punch in your number." he handed me his cellphone. That was pretty smooth. I would have smashed the cellphone back on the face if it wasn't for Seb. It felt undeniably normal to have a conversation with him, and which is better.

"Sure," I took the device and gave my number to him, not before admiring the wallpaper of the home screen. It was a picture of a teenage girl. She looked beautiful with the most mesmerizing smile. I wondered if she was his girlfriend but didn't pay much mind to it.

We shared a casual talk about each other. Our high school details, the things we hate about the college. I learned that Seb was the captain of the College Soccer team and was part of the fraternity along with Jake, which was difficult to digest. How come a jerk be part of the house?

"I should head back to the dorm," I informed. The cafe was getting crowded, and somehow the whole point of going there was no more valid.

"Yeah, see you in the evening." He replied, and I couldn't help but admire his gentle voice.

"Yeah," I said and packed up my things to leave.

But before I passed by him, he grabbed my wrist gently. I looked at his hold on my wrist and then at his face with confusion laced on mine.

"You have beautiful eyes," he said with a very subtle smile releasing my wrist. And at that moment, I saw vulnerability in his voice.

But what blew my mind away was his compliment on my eyes, the same one I received from Jake at the party last time.

What was up with those guys?

How can my not so unique hazel-colored eyes intrigue them that much?