Chapter Sixty-Three

Jacob

Two Years Earlier

Vanessa!

She was a mystery from the beginning, and her eyes had depths that could drown if looked longer. I had to dive deeper into her hazel green eyes. My time was reeling faster the moment, I knew what I needed, but I didn't want to steal it from her. It wouldn't be enough anyway.

I was once again back to the pretentious world of the artists. The canvasses set on the easels and brushes dipped into the paint. The smell of fresh colors and paper engulfed the art room. A middle-aged man posed at the dais that day with a dense beard covering up most of his facial details. His features concealed the lines of his struggle. Thirty minutes wouldn't be enough to brush down all his failures and victories.

Vanessa, on the other hand, always got the techniques right. For her, nothing was impossible to create. The little time we had shared in that art class made me realize she wouldn't let me take a sneak peek into her soul that easily. She was a lady of great perseverance, and my silly artistic self couldn't stop admiring her for that. He craved to feed on her story and carve it into his canvas.

As soon as the class ended, I finally made my not-so-subtle revelation of intentions. Her feet stopped the moment I spilled my desire to paint her. My knuckles tightened into a fist, and a cold sweat broke on my forehead, drenching my unruly curls.

'I want to paint your eyes, Vanessa.' The words resonated in every corner of my brain.

A laugh escaped through her perfect set of sparkling teeth. Her entire body was shaking with the impact of her laughter. But for some reason, her eyes were watery as if they refused to take in the humor.

Another mystery.

'But I'm glad. I could make you laugh, Vanessa. Your eyes look enchanting, and they have bewitched me. Let me be my savior. Let me free myself of their spell by capturing them in my canvas. Will you let me, Vanessa?'

"So, will you let me?" I asked hesitantly, bouncing lightly on my heels to dissipate some of the possibility of being rejected and stay in the captivity of her eyes forever.

She was smiling, but there was a puzzle in her eyes as she looked into my black orbs. "You tell me. What do you see in my eyes? Is it a yes or a no?"

Vanessa, Oh Vanessa. You're evaluating me. I won't fail this time.

I grinned at her in my most sincere way and shook my head. A low laugh appeared at the back of my throat, but it stuck there the moment she took a step closer to me. Her eyes kept my charcoal ones under scrutiny.

"It's a yes," I said quietly, still testing the waters. I could be wrong because eyes tend to deceive you most of the time. Like that one time when mom said she would never leave me. I looked into her eyes and believed. She betrayed, her eyes betrayed me. From that day till this day, all I ever sought was to capture the truth behind human eyes. I knew I wouldn't be defeated if I succeed this once.

Vanessa would set me free.

She stepped away, granting me my air once again. As I watched her take two steps backward from where I stood, my heart was sinking a little with each step she took away. But she didn't let me drown yet.

"Let's get a cup of coffee first," she announced with a bright smile, which reached her eyes this time.

I nodded, following her.

Vanessa wouldn't leave me. My Muse wouldn't abandon me.