Chapter Fifty-Seven

So it all came down to one thing, that I no longer cared what others had to say. It was the world against my feelings. Feelings. I had feelings for Jake, and there was no denying it. No matter how much I had tried restricting his thoughts from making their way from my mind to my heart, but they finally did.

It was all like living a fantasy for me. Waking up was probably the worst thing until one day, it turned into the most treasured moment. There was something special about waking up in the warm embrace of someone who cared about you, whose arms felt like safe heaven, and who made you feel wanted.

My eyes opened to the most heart-melting sight of Jake sleeping beside me. His cheek pressed up against my back, and his hands wrapped possessively around my waist. He was breathing calmly, releasing small puffs of air through his slightly parted lips.

I brushed away a soft curl falling on his forehead and bathed in the gentle contours of his face. He looked so peaceful and relaxed that I wanted to preserve that comfort for him. There were so many things still buried deep within him, the things I was dying to know but scared to trigger some unwanted memories.

The memories of the previous day made my lips curve upwards into a coy smile. We spent a day full of lazy naps, pizzas, and cuddles while talking about our most silly childhood stories. He told me about his dog Muzi, a golden retriever his mom gifted on his tenth birthday. Jake had that boyish grin the entire time he talked about his playtime with Muzi. Then I spent almost thirty minutes coaxing him to stop being sad about Muzi's death. Jake's dark orbs turned gloomy as he talked about how he never replaced Muzi with anyone else. To cheer him up, I had to share one of my most embarrassing moments where I almost got a date but not quiet because, of course, the guy wanted to propose to Amelia, but just that it wasn't me. I remembered how Jake looked at me sternly then burst out laughing. We were high in each other's presence. And when the evening turned into night, we didn't bother to know as an unknown excitement engulfed us. We were happy and safe with each other.

I was feeling giddy like a schoolgirl. It was my first time opening up for a guy, and I was so grateful it was Jake. My eyes scanned his charming face glistering in the light rays of sunlight seeping through the curtains. I shifted a little in his embrace so that I could trace the intricate patterns of ink on his neck. As if I couldn't get enough of him, my fingers ran unconsciously on the marks on his wrist and traced back to his face over the scar on his forehead.

"What are you looking at?" Jake's deep voice forced my actions to come to an abrupt stop.

"You sleep like a child, like a cute, innocent child." I cooed, holding his cheeks. A silly smile spread on my lips the moment I looked into his sleepy eyes.

"No, I don't," he pursed his lips and placed a feathery kiss on my forehead. "I haven't slept like this for a long time."

"But you did sleep like a child," I teased, brushing his nose with mine.

"How about now? Do you still take me as a child?" A subtle smirk danced on Jake's lips as he tightened his hold on my waist and pulled flushed against his chest.

A gasp left my mouth as soon as Jake buried his face in the crook of my neck. I closed my eyes, savoring his soft touches on my skin. My heart reverberated with the same rhythm as his, unsteady and erratic. I couldn't resist my need to feel his soft locks against my palm and tugged on them as he scraped his teeth lightly on my skin.

"Can I ask you something personal?" Words rolled out of my mouth, not caring about anything else. For some reason, it felt like the perfect moment.

"Hmm...you can ask anything," his voice vibrated through my skin.

I ran my fingers through his forehead very lightly while still trying to stay calm as his mouth didn't give any rest to my neck. "H-how did you get this scar on your forehead?"