Chapter Forty-Two

An odd excitement rushed through me as I hopped on my bed with Jake's notes in my hand. I had never felt quite zealous about solving math equations, but the thought that Jake made them for me gave me the extra fuel to get started. Despite my poor mathematical skills, his problem-solving approach worked out for me. His handwriting was as clear and perfect as an artist's.

Although at first, it took me some brain scratching to understand the logic, in the end, I could work it out. I spent the entire night on Calculus, practicing the problems highlighted and noted down by him. I did refer to Elijah's papers here and there, though it didn't give me the thrill that Jake's notes gave. Maybe, it wasn't the notes at all.

The morning came with heavy eyelids and a cloudy head. The hourly naps while doing a whole night's study drained my energy to the extreme. Even though I should have stayed in bed to compensate for missing a good night's sleep, the notes lying on the desk somehow made me postpone the plan. I had decided last night to return them to him. It was his notes, after all. Maybe he would need them too. Besides, it would be mean to keep them just like that without any gratitude. More so when we still had our differences.

I looked at the ceiling, shifting a little to adjust to the sleeplessness. But instead, a memory of our little moment in the library clouded my mind. The way he held my hand, engulfing me his strong embrace, and he buried his head in my hair. Thank god, I shampooed my hair in the morning.

"Stop it!" I cursed myself, pulling the comforter away and getting off the bed. The cold floor against my feet made me hiss a little. It helped in distracting my mind from reminiscing about Jake. Pushing aside all the memories and flashbacks, I proceeded to get a shower.

After applying half a bottle of my Vanilla milk shampoo, I still couldn't remove the sensation of Jake's breath from my hair. It was driving me insane, all the ways he made me feel with his mere presence.

What was it? Infatuation? Attraction? or Love?

The last possibility turned my blood cold. I quickly finished the shower and got dressed up. I chose a simple white shirt tucked loosely in my high-rise jeans. Prominent dark circles were visible under my eyes, and they were also turning red due to sleeplessness. I could also feel the fatigue in my limbs. Sleep was just around the corner to take over me, and before it did that, I had to return the notes to Jake. I had to apply a light layer of compact to hide the tiredness on my face.

Finishing up the look with a peach-colored lip tint, I typed a quick update to Jess. She was going to take me to the fraternity house. Otherwise, how else I was supposed to go there. I certainly couldn't go alone, with all those frat guys eyeing me like prey. And my previous experience at that place wasn't the best either. But since I had already decided to show my gratitude to Jake, Jess was my only option to enter gracefully. She was far too acquainted, and no one dared to cross her with Xavier being around.

I was meeting her outside the coffee house. To make myself level up with walking dead, I needed a little caffeine in my blood. I grabbed an Espresso for myself and the same for Jess after waiting in line for fifteen minutes. Earlier in the morning, Leah had asked me where I was heading. I almost spilled the beans but managed a lie in the end. I didn't know how far the lying game would go. Brooding over my life choices, I didn't notice Jess's car until the loud honking made me jump a little.

"Why did you want to go to the house again?" Jess asked when I settled myself on the passenger seat. She had a Kia, and I was still relying on buses or other people for conveyance.

"Just don't freak out, but I have to meet Jake," I spoke, biting my lips. I didn't want her to assume something.

"Why am I not surprised," she mocked, starting the engine. "You are finally falling for Jake's charms."