Chapter 16: One step back

Elsie POV

I was surrounded by darkness. I rubbed my eyes, trying to recognize the place, but I can't see anything clearly due to the darkness but unsure if it was due to the curtains that blocking the light or the weather outside. A groan left my mouth as I failed to trace my phone or anything to confirm the time.

I sat on the bed before deciding to leave but the door suddenly fluttered open, causing me to sit on the bed and stare at it blankly. The brightness that peeked through the room gave me enough light to have a glimpse of the person that walks in. Sad to say, at this moment he might be the last person that I expected. Suddenly, I got a flashback about the thing that happened between us in his office; the argument, the bitter truth from him, anger, and the tears. It was crystal clear now.

"How are you? Feeling better?" He started the conversation after a moment of silence, noticing that I was awake. He shut the door and moved to my side, keeping a safe distance between us. 

"Can we talk later? I'm not in the mood to talk right now." I don't want to stress myself anymore as I was aware of the effect on the baby. "What is the time now anyway?" I mumbled without waiting for his reply.

A sigh slowly escaped his lips but I pretended not to hear it. "It's dinner time. I came to check on you. Do you want to have your dinner here or downstairs? Andrea is waiting for you downstairs just in case you are wondering about her."

"Alright, downstairs it is. I will be there soon, just need to clean myself first."

"Okay." He didn't say anything afterward. I noticed he slowly turned away, heading to the door, but he suddenly halted his steps. I quickly turned my face away, pretending not to look at him.

"Love, can we talk-" I cut him off before he could further his sentence.

"Dexter, please."

"No, just listen to me once. I agreed not to make you stress anymore. Promise." I'm not sure about the reason but the way he gazed at me made my heart softened. I nodded, allowing him to continue.

"I'm sorry about what happened earlier in my office. I didn't mean to put pressure on you and made you stress. About Andrea's school, I will reconsider it, so you don't have to stress yourself about that. And, about the room, you can have your own room. I already request the maid to clean the room, you can ask their help to move your belonging to the room, just don't do it by yourself." My face scrunched as I digested his words. He seems so different, totally opposite of the man that always bickering with me.

"I just want to tell you again that you are not a burden to me, not before, now, or in the future, for sure. You, Andrea, and our little Anderson are the only families that I have now. My job is to protect all of you. I might look like a selfish person to you, but I want you to know I can't bear the consequences of losing either one of you. I guess you forgot about the part where I used to tell you about my family. If only you recalled that piece of memory, I think it will change the way you judge me now. But, for now, I won't push you to remember anything about our past. Your health and little Anderson are the most important thing that I need to take care of." My eyes fixed on his face without blinking. This was really a different version of him that I never saw.

"I promise I won't say anything that hurt your feeling anymore. I'm sorry about everything, love." Not sure why, but it sounds like a farewell speech to me.

"Are you going somewhere?" I almost facepalmed myself at my question. It accidentally slips from my mouth.

"Is that what you want?" The warm expression on his face earlier vanished into thin air and replaced with a forlorn look. To be honest, I was taken aback by his question. I wanted to answer him, but he beat me to it.

"It's okay, I got that." He counters back in a cold tone. He spun and walked out of the room immediately. To be honest, I have the urge to stop him, but I found myself motionless on the bed, looking at him slowly disappearing from my sight. I closed my eyes for a brief moment, swallowed the guilt that crept in.

"I didn't mean it that way," I mumbled quietly letting my emotion let through me before going to the bathroom and wash my face.

Arriving in the dining room not long after that, a cheerful voice that I miss greeted me.

"Mommy, you're finally here." She stood on the chair as she caught my presence in the room and opened her arms for a hug. I smile widely, approaching her closer, and pulled her into a hug before placing a kiss on her cheeks.

"How are you, princess?"

"I'm good, mommy but you're sick just now. Are you okay now? And how about little Anderson?" My hands stroking her cheek, admiring the way she cares about me.

"I'm good now, princess. By the way, where is daddy?" I asked while at the same time helping her to sit on the chair properly. My eyes busy scanning the surrounding, trying to trace the person that I accidentally pushed away a second ago.

"Daddy is busy upstairs" She pointed to where his office was. "He has work to do. We need to eat first so little Anderson won't get mad, as daddy said."

My instinct told me that he purposely did that to avoid me, but I quickly brushed the feeling that tried to bug me. I won't let it disturb my mood and cause me to have an over-thinking issue.

"Okay, if that's the case," I walked to the other side and pulled out the empty chair in front of her. One of the maids came and stood nearby, nodded her head, as a signal that she will be around if we need help. I smiled at her, thanking her in silence and reassuring her that everything is still under control. 

❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤