Chapter 36: Forgive me, love.

Dexter POV

By the time I arrived home, Elsie and Andrea were standing in front of the door with their crossed arms on their chest. Not sure of the reason, but the image brought some bad feelings out from me. Moreover, the cold expression on their face convinced me.

"Hello love, sweetheart. I'm back." I opened my arms, hoping that they will run to me or pull me into a hug excitedly.

I made a mental note that between instinct and expectation, instinct always accurate when a slap suddenly 'greeted' my cheek, it wasn't hard till it hurt me but it was enough to make me looked at her with shock. I pushed my tongue underneath my cheek at the spot where she just slapped me.

"What was that for, love?" I gazed at her with so many questions in my head, trying to recall any mistakes that I might commit.

Before she could answer me, I felt a light slap on my knee and it caused me to lower my gaze.

"You too, sweetheart? Could you tell daddy what was that for?"

"Uh, I'm not so sure, daddy." She shrugged her shoulders. "But mommy said you did something wrong." Her face softened now. I chuckled, my hand pinched her cheek, she surely was her mommy's loyal supporter.

"Why you didn't tell me about your work today? What if something happens to you? I will be totally clueless. You made me promised to tell you everything about me but when it comes to you why can't you do the same? You are so selfish, Dexter."

"Oh, I got it now. Yeah, daddy, you're so selfish." I couldn't help but burst out laughing with Andrea mimicking her.

"Don't laugh," Elsie warned me, glaring at me with anger.

"Ok, ok, I'm sorry, love. Sweetheart, don't make daddy laugh." I suppressed my laughter. She covered her mouth with her small palm.

"Uncle Alex, you're here too." She shouted as she noticed Alex coming closer. It was the right time so that we can discuss peacefully without anyone making me laugh at the wrong time. It will make the situation worse.

"Shall we go inside, cutie?" Alex asked and without hesitation, Andrea's grabbed his hand. They're getting along pretty well since she started to open up to people.

"How about we talk about this in the room? You shouldn't stand on your feet for a long time." I persuaded her, looking at her unhappy face that was obvious. She turned around, walking slowly to the door without giving me any answer.

Without wasting any time, I lifted her up from the ground and made her squealed in shock. I noticed how she placed her palm protectively on her baby bump while her other hand at the back of my neck.

"Can you justify your action now?" She asked me, lifting her head to my face.

"Since I'm part of this pregnancy, I should do my job to take care of you, no?" I pecked her lips, can't resist her cute angry face.

"Dexter, don't take advantage of me. Plus, I'm not in a good mood."

"Alright, let's sort this out as quick as we can so that we can do more than this."

"Dexter!" I chuckled, cherish the moment even though I knew she wasn't in a good mood.

"Okay, you can put me down now." She urged me at the moment we reached the room. I obeyed, placing her down on the bed.

"Are you still mad at me, love?" I kneeled on the floor, gazing at her face.

"What do you think?"

"I'm sorry, love. I promise you next time I won't repeat the same mistake."

"Why did you hide it from me?"

"I don't want you to get worried. You're pregnant now and I try my best not to do anything that will put your emotion on edge."

"It happened now."

I sighed. "Yeah, I know, but I'm here right now, love. Safe and sound. You don't have to angry anymore. I'm back in one piece, you see not even a small cut on my body. Forgive me, okay?" I reached her hand and placed it on my cheek.

"You know how dangerous is your work, Dexter. I feel like I'm not someone important in your life." I noticed how her voice crack.

"Hey, hey, don't cry, love. You, Andrea, and little Anderson are the most important person in my life now. You know that I'm doing this for our family. For the last few months, we never lived peacefully because of that bastard. He pushed my button by getting you and Andrea involve. I need to do something to end this chaos."

"I know you did this to protect our family and I don't care how you will end this but please next time don't let me live in clueless. I need to know if you're doing any job that might put your life in danger."

"I promise, no more next time. I will report to you everything. Please forgive me, love." I wiped the tears that were flowing on her cheek. "Don't cry, please. It made me feel bad."

Just then, she stared at me and pulled me into a hug. I patted her back, soothing her as a sob escaped her mouth.

"I can't live without you, Dexter. Please don't let anything happen to you." Her confession made me happy, at least I'm aware of my value in her life.

"Likewise, love." I kissed her shoulder, tightening the hug but at the same time reminded myself about her baby bump.  

❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤