Chapter 10: No turning back

Dexter POV

"Anterograde amnesia? What the heck is that doctor?" Seriously, I don't give a damn about the medical term that sounds alien to my ears. Even to pronounce the term in a correct way made me lazy.

"That is a condition where a patient loses the ability to form memories for a period after the accident. In a simple explanation, it means that it caused the patient to fail to recall the memory at a specific time after the traumatic head injury. Is that better now?"

I gazed at him with a scrunched face, trying to summarize his words in a simple sentence. I relate it to how Elsie behaved earlier.

"So, it is possible that she remembers what happened last year but not anything that happened this year?"

"Yes, there is a possibility of that."

I can't deny the frustration that built up in me right now with the fact that she can't remember anything that happened recently. Her mind was stuck with the old memories at the time she hates me to the point that talking to me was the last thing on her to-do list or worst it wasn't even on the list.

"Until when she will be like that?" I questioned the doctor furiously.

"I can't give you the answer to that. It depends on the patient, for some it took a few days, few weeks, and some even a few months."

"What? Few months? I won't allow that."

"I'm sorry, Mr. Anderson, but as you know this happened due to the head injury from the accident. This is not something that we can control."

"Is there any way that can help her to regain back her memories?"

"Yes, I recommended physical activities that help to increase the blood flow to the whole body and the most important part of the brain, practice a healthy diet, and stay mentally active." All of that sounds so complicated, and it will take a long time for me to reach the goal; to regain her memories.

"No other shortcut?"

"Unfortunately, Mr. Anderson, there is no shortcut for the treatment. But, you can try to talk to her about the old memories or repeat the activities that you guys used to do in the past. Probably, it might help her to recall it."

"Repeat the same things," I highlighted the part that I liked from his whole explanation.

"Yes, you can try that."

"It sounds better now, doc. Oh ya, about the baby, are you sure she is pregnant?" I almost forget the real reason I went to the doctor's room.

"Yes, congratulation again on that, Mrs. Anderson. I can print out the report for you."

"Sure, better that way so my wife won't accuse me of faking the pregnancy. You know, sometimes it is hard to deal with women. They're just one kind of unique creature in the world." I chided with no intention to hide the truth. The smile on his face didn't go unnoticed, but I'm not sure if he takes my words seriously. If only he learns the truth about our past.

Elsie POV

After staying in the room alone for a while, he finally came back, but not with the doctor as I expected.

"Where is the doctor?" I inquired as I'm in the need to confirm something.

"Obviously you still doubt about it." He looked at my belly. A paper in his hand as he approached me closer. He handed the paper to me.

"What is that?" I glanced at the paper that still in his hand.

"The proof of our love." He said arrogantly with his signature smirk on his face. I ignored his words, not in the mood to entertain him. However, I still grabbed the paper from him and studied the content carefully.