Stars Hollow High Graduation

Jo's POV 

Today is our graduation day. We slept in a bit, and once we woke up we started the process of getting ready.

We each showered and then did our hair. Jess had to have his gelled just right, as perusal. It took me 45 minutes just to dry my long, dark hair, and another hour to get it all curled.

Jess put on his suit from prom like I had told him to, minus the blazer and a simple black neck tie instead of the royal blue bow tie he wore to match Rory's dress.

I wore a similar outfit. A long sleeve white button up, black tights, knee length black skirt, and a black bow tie.

We both put on our black boots, grabbed our caps and gowns and headed downstairs. The Gilmores are sitting at the counter talking to Luke.

"Oh, don't you two look nice?" Lorelai says.

Luke comes over to us.

"God, I can't believe this is really happening. You two are graduating," he states.

He places a hand on each of our shoulders.

"I'm really proud of you two," he says.

I give him a small pout before smiling at him, as my eyes start to water. Jess looks down, giving him a small smile as well, unable to meet Luke's eyes.

Luke pulls us into a hug and squeezed us tight. We each wrap an arm around his waist.

Once he releases us I take a deep breath and look at the ceiling, trying to keep from messing up my makeup. The gilmores give us hugs as well before Jess and I walk over to the high school.

--

Everyone is standing around talking. We are just a sea of red caps and gowns. The yellow stole is the only thing making me stand out from the crowd.

Our friends and family are all in the gym. We get told to line up. Lane and I spot each other.

"I love you outfit," I joke.

"You too. I always told you red was your color," she replies.

"Good luck," I tell her.

"You too. Don't fall," she tells me.

"If I do I'll be sure to take Jess down with me," I reply.

I turn and see Dean. He just finished talking to someone and was heading in the same direction as Lane.

When he spots me he only nods in my direction. I refuse to hate him. Hating him would take too much effort and wouldn't help anyone.

"Come on Forester, get a move on. You're towards the front," I joke, softening the tension.

He can't help but crack a smile.

"I'm getting there. Don't rush me," he says.

"Be sure to lead well, you're tall enough I'll probably be able to see you from back here," I reply.

"I'll try my best," he says with a grin.

I see him walk up to Lindsay. Her being an 'L' she's a little ahead of Jess and I. She and Dean started dating almost as soon as I turned down his proposal.

I watch as Dean bends down to kiss her. My attention is drawn away when Jess walks up.

"Hello, sir. Are you sure you belong here?" I ask.

"I don't know. I'm supposed to find my annoying little sister," he says.

"I don't think you found her. I'm an amazing sister," I reply.

"Amazingly annoying," he replies.

"Ugh, how rude. I'm going to have to cut out the part of my speech where I talk nice about you," I joke back.

"You should. I can't let you go up there and ruin my rep, now can I?" he asks.

It comes time for us to take our seats. I start to get jittery. I let out a sigh, trying to calm myself. Jess doesn't turn around, he just reaches his hand behind him, and I take it.

"It'll be fine," he reassures.

Long, orderly, single file lines of red start marching into the gym as we all walk to our assigned seats.

"Have you found them?" I ask.

"Not yet," Jess replies.

Our eyes scan the gym as we walk. We get to our row.

"There they are," Jess says, pointing.

There are bleachers on either side of the gym and the graduates are in chairs on the gym floor.

They are on the same side as us, just a few rows behind us, so when we sit they are just a little behind us.

It's Luke, the Gilmores, Sookie and Jackson. We smile and wave. My eyes scan some more. On the same side, towards the front of the room is Clara and her parents.

Clara and I meet eyes. Her face lights up. I smile and give her a small wave. Her parents don't seem to notice me. I wonder if they hate me.

My eyes start scanning again. I spot Mrs. Kim. When she sees me she gives me a small nod that I return. I spot various other townspeople. I look at Jess.

"No, Mom," I say.

"I didn't think she'd come," he says.

"I had a little faith in her," I reply.

He looks at me and almost looks sad.

"She hasn't called in over a year, Jo," he says.

I look down and shrug.

"I know," I reply.

Jess rubs my back. Soon everyone is settled and the ceremony starts. The moment creeps closer and closer and finally it comes.

"I would like you all to help me in welcoming a very special young lady. This Stars Hollow High's 2003 valedictorian, Ms. Jo Mariano," Mr. Merton announces.

Everyone claps. I don't have pockets, so Jess pulls my speech from his back pocket and gives me a quick side hug before I make my way to the stage at the front of the room.

\\ AN // -- All grammar, punctuation, and spelling corrections are helpful, encouraged, and greatly appreciated.

Thank you

-- Izzy