Get Away & Run Away

Jo's POV 

Jess is gone. Luke took him to the bus station, so he could go back to Liz. It was Jess' idea, but that doesn't make it hurt any less.

Luke wanted to go away for a little while, so I went with him. I just packed a bag, lots of cd's, and a few books. While Luke spent his time fishing I sat in the tent reading, listening to music, and crying.

Luke and I didn't really talk, and I was okay with that. Neither of us are mad, just coping in our own way.

My brother, my twin, my best friend is gone. We've never been apart and I have no idea what to do with myself. My security blanket had been ripped from me... and I didn't pack my meds.

--

We just got home from our get away and run up to drop my bag while Luke gets his stuff from the truck. I hear Luke open the door on my way down the stairs.

"Where's you mom tonight?" I hear him ask

"At a party for my grandpa," a voice replies.

"Oh, sounds nice."

I freeze for a second.

"Grab yourself a donut," he tells her.

"So, have you heard from him?" she asked.

"Oh, no, I talked to his mom, though. He got home okay."

"Good, that's good."

"Jo's not doing so well though."

"Oh, I'm sorry. What about his stuff?"

"Oh, I'm gonna send it."

"Right, that makes sense."

"Luke?"

"Yeah?"

"I wasn't his fault."

"I know it wasn't."

This makes me come out of my hiding spot. She looks up at me. Before either of us can say anything I walk up to her and catch her in a tight hug.

"Thank you," I whisper after a minute.

"For what?" Rory whispers back.

"For believing him. For not blaming him."

--

The next night I stayed with the Gilmores. Lorelai is graduating and is having her own little party of three. We jam out to music while she gets drunk off a pitcher of margaritas.

"I'm feeling so good, sister, because it's over. No more finals, no more studying, no more school. The pressure's off. Do you know how much pressure I felt? Do you? All last week, I felt like a giant man and his brother were sitting on my chest."

"A giant man?" Rory questions.

"And his giant brother."

"Did they have names?" I ask.

"Clem and Clem. Huh, same names. Which did not reflect well on the imagination or their mothers."

"Mother," we both reply.

"Mothers. There were two clem."

"Yeah, 'cause they were brothers," Rory tells her.

"Yes, so they had mothers."

"You're drawing me into your drunken world."

"It's not a bad place to be my friend. Tanks empty," she gets up to refill her cup.