Debutante Balls and Diner Downs

Jo's POV 

I sat with Rory, Lane and Dean, as Lorelai talked on the phone with her mother. Rory had been talked into attending a debutante ball, and she managed to rope Dean in with her.

"So?" Rory asks.

"So what?" Dean questions.

"It's good, huh?"

"It's the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction," he replies.

"Yes, and doesn't Neil Young look cool?" she asks.

"I guess."

"If you'll notice, he's wearing a tux."

"Neil Young looks cool because he's Neil Young, not because he's wearing a tux."

Poor Dean was not looking forward to his required outfit, but from what I've picked up he'd probably do anything for this girl.

He's a nice guy and even offered to join Lane and I at lunch. Lorelai comes back in still bickering with her mother before walking off again.

"I think you're gonna look great in a tux," Rory reassures Dean.

"Tails," Lane says.

"What?" Dean asks, looking up at Rory.

"Yeah, according to this, it says that, "all escorts must be properly attired in black tails, white cummerbunds, and white gloves'" Lane reads.

"What?" Dean asks again.

I giggle. He is so unhappy. I start reading over Lane shoulder.

"I'm sure the gloves are optional," Rory says.

"Not according to this," I add.

"Tails!? Gloves!?"

"Remember Neil Young. Remember that you love me," Rory says.

That doesn't work.

"Remember that I'll be watching Battlebots with you for a month," she adds.

He sighs.

"Show me Neil Young again," he says, leaning back into the couch.

Lane and I smile at him. There's a honk outside and Rory jumps up.

"Dad!"

Lorelai and Rory go out to meet him. Rory returns with the gift her dad got her. A dictionary with every word in the English language.

We hear music blaring and look out the window. It's coming from the car. Rory goes out to turn it down before running back.

--

I spend my Saturday either working in the diner, or reading in the diner. It's almost closing time when Rory shows up, still in her pretty white dress.

"Hi, how was it?" I ask her.

"It was good, I actually had fun."

"Can I get you anything?"

"Burger and fries, please," she replies.

"I got it, you hang out," Luke tells me.

I sit with Rory and she tells me about her night until Luke brings her food. Just as she's taking her first bit Lorelai walks in.

"Hey!"

"What?" Rory asks.

"After all you've been through tonight, and I come in here and find you eating like that?" she asks.