Dinner Dates and Debates

Jo's POV 

Eventually Jess got what he wanted. Not only did he get to see Rory, but also have dinner with her. Of course Paris and I are here, but he seems to be enjoying himself nonetheless.

Before getting to work we all sat down to eat. Jess and Paris are having a debate on authors and their writing.

"A tragic waste of paper," Paris says.

"I can't believe you just said that," Jess replies.

"Well, it's true. The Beats' Writing was completely self-indulgent. I have one word for Jack Kerouac. Edit,"  she says.

"It was not self-indulgent. The Beats believed in shocking people, stirring things up," Jess says.

"They believed in drugs, booze, and petty crime," Paris replies.

"Well, then you can say they exposed you to a world you wouldn't have otherwise known. Isn't that what great writing's all about?" Rory asks.

"Ooh, agreed," I throw in.

"That was not great writing. That was the national enquirer of the 50's," Paris replies.

"You're cracked," Jess tells her.

"Typical guy response. Worship Kerouac and Bukowski. God forbid you'd pick up anything by Jane Austen," she says.

"Hey, I've read Jane Austen," Jess replies.

"You have?" she asks.

"Yeah, and I think she would have liked Bukowski," Jess tells her.

"What are you doing?" she asks.

"Salt and pepper dip. Only way to eat a fry," he says.

"Really?" she asks.

"It's fast-food gospel," Rory replies.

"It's okay," I add.

"Mmm. That's good. That's really really good," Paris says.

"You like hot sauce?" Jess asks her.

Rory leaves to go answer the phone.

"I don't know. Should I?" Paris asks.

"I think it's wise," he tells her.

He gives her some. She tries it and her eyes light up.

"This is good," she says again.

They get back into talking about more books.

"Can't get into poetry. It's kinda like, Jezz, just say it already. We're dying here," he says.

Rory comes back in.

"Wow, I just noticed the time, and it's getting really late," she says.

"It's 7:00," Jess replies.

"I know, but Paris and I still have a lot more studying to do, and we have to help Jo," she says.

She walks over and gets his coat, handing it to him.

"Jess, please thank Luke for me. It was really nice of him," Rory says.

"Who was that on the phone?" Jess asks.

"No one," she replies.

"No one wouldn't happen to be heading over here right now, would he?" Jess asks.

"Jess."

"What's going on?" Paris asks.

"Nothing," Rory replies