Office Visits

Jo's POV 

I was in class and my teacher got a call. I was told to go to the office. I'm worried. I definitely haven't done anything. Jess had been behaving, so I don't know why it'd be him.

I give one of the ladies my name and they tell me to sit and wait for the principle. After a couple of minutes I was told to go back.

"Hello, Ms. Mariano," he says.

"Hello, Mr. Merton," I reply.

"Please, have a seat," he tells me.

I sit and he seems to be busy looking through some papers.

"Um, sir, is there, uh- is there something wrong?" I ask.

"Actually, Ms. Mariano I think this is considered the complete opposite," he tells me.

"Um, I, uh, I'm sorry?" I ask.

"When you enrolled here we got your transcripts from your previous school. Though your attendance was a bit more sporadic in the past, your grades are almost the same. You have nothing but A's and B's," he states.

I just nod in response. He puts down the papers in his hands and rests his elbow on the desk, looking at me.

"Josephine, since you've been at Stars Hollow you've been a straight A student. Your grades are amazing. You were on both the volleyball team, and the softball team, and you have excellent ACT and SAT scores. You are one of our top students..."

I just continue to stare at him.

"All of this put together makes you this year's valedictorian," he says.

For a second my face doesn't change. I look at him as if I'm waiting for him to say more because my brain can't process what it just heard. Then it clicks. My eyes get big and my mouth gapes open.

"I'm the what now?" I ask.

"You, Josephine Mariano, are Stars Hollow High's 2003 valedictorian," he replies.

I let out a nervous laugh and covered my mouth. Then I break out into a fit of giggles with my arms clutched to my chest.

I'm freaking out and my body doesn't know what to do. I get myself together and look up at him. 

"Um, have you told my Uncle Luke yet? Or Jess?" I ask.

"No, we haven't contacted your family yet. Seeing as your track record of relying messages is better than your brother's I thought you'd like you to tell them yourself," he tells me.

"Yes. Yes I would," I reply.

"That's all Ms. Mariano. When you pick up your cap and gown you will also be given your yellow stole. You will also need to write a speech for the graduation ceremony," he tells me.

Hearing those words fills me with anxiety, but for now my excitement is too high to let it bother me.

I get up and leave with a smile. I go back to class. It's my last class before lunch, so I quickly get my stuff and rush to the cafeteria.

I make a stop at my locket to switch my books and get my lunch box. I head to the far corner of the room and see Jess and Dean have beat me to the table.

I drop into the chair next to Dean, startling him, and then quickly grab Jess' book, also startling him as well.

Both look at me like I'm crazy. I'm smiling and practically bouncing in my chair.

"What's with you?" Jess asks.

"Yeah, you look like you're about to explode," Dean says.

"Okay, so I got called out of class to talk to Mr. Merton," I say looking at Dean and then Jess.

"I didn't do anything," Jess jumps in.

"No, it was about me, and it was a good thing," I reply.

I take a deep breath and sit up straight.

"Okay, he mentioned how my grades are really good, and some other stuff that all added up to me being the valedictorian," I say.

"Oh, my god! That's great!" Dean says, pulling me into a hug.

"That's awesome, Jo. Congratulations," Jess says, smiling at me.

I get up to give him a hug as well. When Lane shows up I tell her, and I tell Luke when I get home from school. He looked like he was going to burst with joy.

\\ AN // -- All grammar, punctuation, and spelling corrections are helpful, encouraged, and greatly appreciated. 

Thank you 

-- Izzy