Chapter 11

Chapter 11: Claws

I watched him walk away. My heart was pounding against my ribcage and my palms sweaty. I slid down the wall and pull my knees to my chest. Quinlan hates me, she must. I have feelings for her rapist.

The guilt wrapped, like a clawed hand, around my heart, constricting its beat. The world around me spun and was unclear. The pound in my ears became louder and louder.

Help. I needed help. Someone was screaming. It was an agonizing sound in my ears.

'Ana.' Someone said. I liked the sound of their voice.

I felt a hand grab my face. The touch warm and comforting. My vision focused on the face in front of me.

Justin.

Justin was here. Our memories flit through my mind, riding the Ferris wheel, pushing each other into the pool.

I feel the wetness on my cheeks and the clamminess of my skin. 'Are you okay?' His concerned voice fills my ears.

I only nod my head. This wasn't one of my first episodes, but even though I learned to control them, in some situations they'd take over my body and I just had to suffer through it.

'Wh- what are you doing here?' Comes my breathless whisper.

'I came to visit my grandmother and I then decided to drop by. Your mother told me that you'd be here. So when I saw you lead hereby that asshole, I waited until he left and then you just...started screaming.' He says with a defeated shrug.

I could tell by the jealousy in his eyes that he saw the kiss, but at the moment I couldn't bring myself to care.

'I want to go home.' I say and start standing up. I slip but manage to stand with the help of the wall.

'Fine I'll get my car and we'll drive. I heard your mother was cooking your favorite tonight.' He says with a slight smile.

I shake my head, 'No. I want to go home.' My parent's house wasn't my home anymore, not from the moment I stepped into my dorm.

Justin's car pulls up in front of the house. Unbuckling my seatbelt, I stare at the front door, wondering if he's home. Knowing Corbin I knew that he would disappear for a few days, then apologize...well he'll try, and in the end, we'll kiss and he'll run away. Oh, how the endless cycle will continue.

'Well, this is me.' I say awkwardly and turn to look at him. He smiles a crooked smile and runs his hands nervously through his blonde locks.

'No problem.' He says with a cough. I smile and open the car door. I'm halfway to the door when he calls my name. I turn and raise my hands up questioningly.

'Do, uhm...you wanna go see a movie with me tomorrow?' He asks and toys with the collar of his shirt. A nervous habit that he had since he was a child. I pull my lip between my teeth and contemplate his question.

'Sure.' I say with a nod of my head. He smiles at me and fist bumps the air, when he drives off I immediately realize that this was a terrible idea. I've always known that Justin had a crush on me. We dated when we were younger and when I grew up and became a teenager, I realized that there weren't any romantic feelings on my side. When we broke up he was devastated, my mom and his mom were too. 

I tried to explain to them that these feelings weren't real and they only pressurized me to date the golden boy of Bridgeton Valley. They were well disappointed in me and reassured Justin that I was just going through a phase...it looks like that "phase" never ended.

When I opened the door, I was surprised to find Corbin and his friends scattered around the living room. Everyone turned their focus onto me and Ethan gave me an evil smirk.

'Ahhhh- na. It's so good to see you.' He says with a gleam in his eyes. I glance at Corbin seeking help, but he just stares into the unlit fireplace.

'Ethan and friends, I wish I could say the same.' I say with a tight smile.

His smile grows wider, 'Ahh, so kitty has some claws. At least that's what I heard.' He says and looks at Corbin. My hands clench into fists as I try to reign in my anger.

'Get out.' I whisper.

When no one moves, I look Ethan in the eyes, 'Get. The. Fuck. Out. Now!'

Demi practically flinches out of her seat. Ethan glances at Corbin, probably waiting for him to say something. He doesn't and just keeps glowering at the fireplace.

'No need to get your panties in a twist, Ana. Jesus, we're leaving.' Ethan mumbles and walks out the door, Demi trails closely behind him.

She stops in front of me and leans a bit forward, 'Quin was right. You're a fucking psycho.'

She wants to say something else, but I slam the door in her face. My hands are shaking and my heart beats erratically against my rib cage. I try to take a steadying breath, but it only comes out shakily.

Corbin wasn't in the living room anymore. I sigh in relief, knowing that I wouldn't have to face him...well not for now. I could feel another attack coming on so I laid down on the cold floor and started counting down from ten.

When I'm done I start humming my favorite song. The slight hum of The Killers' Mr. Brightside, is stuck in my throat and comes out brokenly. Just like me.

 Just like me