Chapter 16

Chapter 16: Downfall

"What. The. Actual. Fuck." I almost burst into tears. Corbin stares at me with a blank face, the obvious confusion on his face, marred by the guilt in his eyes.

As I stare into betrayal, everything that Corbin told me about Quinn comes raging back at me.

"You fucking bitch!" I attack. 

I swipe at her hair trying to drag her down to the floor, but strong arms surround me and harshly tugs me backward.

"Let me fucking GO!" I scream and squirm to get out of his tight grasp.

"Jesus, Ana. Calm the fuck down." Corbin growls in my ear. I still for a second, then I start squirming again. Trying to get out of his hold.  The world spins around me. How did I not piece this together? How dare she!

I stare at Quinlan, her eyes are wide with shock, one of her hands is massaging her scalp. She opens her mouth as if she wants to speak. But I interrupt her before she has the chance,

"Get the fuck. Out." I say through clenched teeth.

"What?" She asks with a frown.

"I said get the fuck out of this house. Do not ever come near me again."

She gasps, surprised. What the hell did she think would happen? She told me she was raped by a man that I was currently falling in love with. It was a lie. Everything was. 

"Fuck you, Ana. I had to deal with you as a friend and now you're dumping me!?" She says, smoothing down her hair.

"I'm going to fucking murder you!" I say, the rage and adrenaline in my bloodstream made me want to rip her tongue out. I start wriggling again trying to make good on my word. She lets out a shout and looks at Corbin.

"Don't you fucking dare look at him!" I screech, "Let me GO!" 

"Go!" Corbin shouts beside me, his arms still tightly around my waist, trying to hold me back. I don't stop fighting against his hold, even when the door slams shut.

"Stop! You're going to hurt yourself!" He shouts behind me. The tone of his voice just makes me angrier.

"Let go of me, you fucking bastard!" The words are barely out of my mouth before I land on the floor with a hard 'oof'. I lay on the cold floor for a while trying to regain my breath. Oxygen enters my lungs at a rapid pace as I lay panting. Corbin looms over me, waiting.

"What was that?" He asks finally. He'll be angry when I tell him the truth, I know it. At Quin...at me.

"Aviana. What just happened?" He asks again, a slight edge to his voice.

I sit up straight, before standing up and sitting on the couch. I clear my throat and cocking my head towards the coffee table in front of me. He sighs loudly and sits on the table. I don't realize I'm staring at my fumbling hands, until his fingers touch my cheek, lifting my eyes to meet his.

"What happened, Ana?" His voice is softer now, it makes the anxiety within me lessen.

"She...," I take a deep breath and reach over to take his large hands into mine, "She said that you...fuck, she said that you raped her." I wince as the word leaves my mouth. Corbin is deathly still, I release his hands and take his face between them instead.  His eyes are empty, unfocused. 

"Corbin?" His name is a whisper.

He doesn't respond, dread fills my chest. I press my lips gently onto his unmoving mouth, he pushes me back and I knock my head hard against the back of the couch. A soft grunt spills from my mouth. I stare up at him, surprised. He swipes his hand harshly across his mouth, disgust painted upon his face.

"Don't ever. Fucking. Touch me. Again." He walks off and shuts his bedroom door with a loud bang.

I squeeze my eyes together trying to keep the tears at bay, but the sudden pound of my head makes a few of them escape. I wipe them away quickly and stand up from the couch. A wave of dizziness overtakes me and I sit back down instantly. I rub the back of my head and flinch at the soft touch. I carefully walk over to the kitchen in search of some Advil. 

After I swallow the pills I stumble my way to my bed, barely shutting the door, and fall face-first onto the bed. I don't even have time to shut my eyes before everything goes dark.