Ch8 pt2. Youngblood

25 years ago

Reggie's dad was a bit of an alcoholic... a lot of a alcoholic...it was how he got his bruises and scars, both physically and mentally. He puts on a happy face in front of his classmates, friends and even his girlfriend, no one else sees his pain because, well, they all have their own shit.

There were nights when he would lay awake in bed listening to the sound of fighting. It's the usual story, isn't it? His mother yelling till her voice would become sore and his father yelling just as hard... and then there was the hitting and the punching and the slapping and the kicking and the squeezing. Every. Single. Day.

Reggie would be lucky just to survive the week, he tried to stay out of their hair most of the time till the point he was almost invisible, until, of course, he'd be a punching bag for his father and a thing to blame for his mother.

The band helped, they made him forget his home life even just A few hours and most nights he couldn't sleep so writing music really helped him relax or focus his mind on other things.

Reggie was supposed to meet his girlfriend in a bit so brought himself up from his bed and quietly tip-toed down the stairs, hoping to go unnoticed.

"Where you going, boy?" Mr peters asked while getting up from his chair, swirling the whiskey around in his glass

Reggie froze with his hand on the doorknob, he was so close yet so far from escaping a conversation with his dad "I-I'm going to meet Avery..." he replied struggling to make eye contact with his father

"Look at me when you talk, boy, now get me a beer before you leave" mr peters said, throwing the empty glass carelessly beside Reggie's feet.

"I- I really got to go- Avery's waiting for me.." Reggie muttered loud enough for his dad to understand.

Unfortunately his father was in a fit of rage, he brought his hand up to the side of Reggie  and lashed the back of it across his face hard and he fell back slightly with the force of it.

He remembered his first encounter with this abuse at the mere age of 8, he always forgets how strong his dad was, even though there's nothing in his hands it's like being striked with a huge hunk of meat.

"Never talk back to me, now get out of my sight" his dad spat as he picked Reggie up by his collar, throwing him out of the house, Reggie scrambled to his feet and quickly grabbed his bike, wanting to leave his home.

******************************

"What do you mean you're done?" Questioned a heartbroken Reggie, tears where building up in his eyes, the colour draining from his face except the bruise and small cut his dad had left for him and his muscles were tense like with every breath he was breaking into even more pieces.

"I'm sorry Reggie" said his girlfriend, Avery, hopping onto the back of a random dude's motorcycle "I've fallen for someone else"

And with that, they took off, leaving Reggie to kick at his bike and curse in both anger and despair.

*****************************

Reggie stormed into the sunset curve studio aka local garage and plugged his bass in, swinging it across his shoulder as Luke, Alex and Bobby stared at him in confusement and concern at their friends frustration and lack of communication.

"what happened?" Alex was the one who spoke up, rising from his seat to stand beside Reggie, Luke and Bobby followed.

"Me and Avery broke up" He said bluntly before slamming his journey against Luke's chest "can we please just practice"

Luke nodded reluctantly, taking a look at the song, it was pretty good but he was sure they're was more to the story.

After plugging in they're instruments, Reggie started to sing hoping to drown his emotions out through music.

"Remember the words you told me, love me 'til the day I die
Surrender my everything 'cause you made me believe you're mine
Yeah, you used to call me baby, now you calling me by name
Takes one to know one, yeah
You beat me at my own damn game

You push and you push and I'm pulling away
Pulling away from you
I give and I give and I give and you take, give and you take

Youngblood
Say you want me
Say you want me
Out of your life
And I'm just a dead man walking tonight
But you need it, yeah, you need it
All of the time
Yeah, ooh ooh ooh

Youngblood
Say you want me
Say you want me
Back in your life
So I'm just a dead man crawling tonight
'Cause I need it, yeah, I need it
All of the time
Yeah, ooh ooh ooh

Lately our conversations end like it's the last goodbye
Yeah, one of us gets too drunk and calls about a hundred times
So who you been calling, baby, nobody could take my place
When you're looking at those strangers, hope to God you see my face

Youngblood
Say you want me
Say you want me
Out of your life
And I'm just a dead man walking tonight
But you need it, yeah, you need it
All of the time
Yeah, ooh ooh ooh

Youngblood
Say you want me
Say you want me
Back in your life
So I'm just a dead man crawling tonight
'Cause I need it, yeah, I need it
All of the time
Yeah, ooh ooh ooh

You push and you push and I'm pulling away
Pulling away from you
I give and I give and I give and you take, give and you take

Youngblood
Say you want me
Say you want me
Out of your life

Cause I'm just a dead man walking tonight"

After they had done Reggie sank to the ground, placing his head in his hands and running his fingers through his hair shortly after to be accompanied by the rest of the band.

"I think this has more than your breakup with Avery" Luke claimed, placing a comforting hand on Reggie's shoulder

They all sat there for a while in silence, not needing to say anything,  to let Reggie breathe.

************************************

Poor Reggie :(

But also merry Christmas! Though it's no longer Christmas for me so happy Boxing Day!

Finally a chapter that is at least 1000 words but this was sad to write.

I've not proof read it cause it's late and I'm tired but I hope u don't mind and tell me if I need to correct anything

Lotta 💞