Chapter 16

It had been a few days since I left New Orleans for Washington with Ron and Lucas. We were in Washington to visit a close friend of mine who happens to head the CIA. He was more than happy to help. Criminals always believe they're so smart but there will always be an electric trail and my good friend, Sam, always gets to the root of things.

I still hadn't spoken to Drew because he still wasn't answering my calls and I was losing it. I was enroute to a doctor's appointment when I got a call from Drew's mother asking me to meet her for coffee. I didn't even argue, so I turned my car around and drove to the coffee shop. So here I am in a coffee shop across the supreme court waiting for the Honourable Judge Toliver.

"Hey."  Taylor said as she took a seat in front of me.

"Hey Taylor, how have you been?" I asked honestly.

"Well , I've been great. Wish I could say the same for you, what's going on?"

"I don't know what you're talking about. "

"You haven't been in New York for almost a week, Drew is worried sick about you."

"That's rich. I've tried to call Drew since I left New York, he's not answering my calls, neither is he replying my messages. Here I am, tired, dealing with a lot of things and the person who is supposed to support me during this unfortunate time in my life is putting his feelings first and being inconsiderate!! " I didn't even know that I was so hurt. Taylor took a deep breath and then finally spoke.

"Dearie, every relationship goes through hiccups but you can't let that break your relationship. I know you're hurting and you're trying to keep everything together but so is Drew. He is trying his best to be here for you and you're going to need to acknowledge that he is trying. He isn't perfect, he has his flaws but he needs you now more than ever. Please listen to me and just go home." I didn't know about anything going on with Drew but Taylor really sounded worried. She got up to leave and I got up and gave her a hug. She was seriously worried about him and it just made me feel worse.

I sent Ron and Lucas a message telling them that I was going back to New York. I had my luggage sent to the jet and I just got in and flew home instantly. When I landed, I rushed over to Drew's office cause I figured he would be there on a Monday morning but he wasn't there. His assistant said he hasn't been at the office for 3 days! This definitely was highly unlike him. I drove to the penthouse, but he wasn't there and the house looked like a hot mess. There were empty bottles of wine and vodka bottles laying on the kitchen counter. Drew wasn't a big alcohol person but what I was seeing said otherwise. I tried to call him but still no answer.

I remembered that he used to love going during the early stages of our relationship and I just had to try it. It was a small house that he inherited from his grandparents when he was 17. It was located towards the outskirts of town . I started the journey to the house, I got there around 3:34pm but luckily, his car was there. At this rate, I was beyond tired. I hadn't slept well in days, I had missed so many doctor's appointments, I wasn't eating well, I hadn't decided whether I wanted to keep this child and to top it all off, I had to wait until Sam had news before I took any other step. Business was going well, thank God. But Drew somehow became my top priority in all of this mess.

I walked into the house but he wasn't there. I went out through the back door and there he was, sitting on an old rocking chair, staring at the water. He looked haggard. He had eye bags, he was long overdue for a hair cut and he somehow looked malnourished. I felt bad leaving him ,I didn't know what to say. I just sat down on the seat in front of him and put his hands in mine.

"What ever is going on, I'm right here and I'm not going anywhere. "I said. I was hurt seeing him this way,it just broke me. I don't know why but at this point, seeing him just stare into oblivion and not saying anything and tears dropping from his eyes, I was broken. I pulled him into a hug and even though he didn't hug me back, I felt happy with him crying on me. He was letting it all out on a $2000 cashmere top but I didn't even care. After a while, he pulled away and when I saw his eyes, they were blood shot red.

"Take all the time you need, I'm here." I said as I returned to my chair without letting go of his hands.

"Ummm, Lydia called me a few days ago, my son's mom  had an accident and she  ummm...." Wait, hold up. Drew has a son!!! I'm speechless and I want to say something but I.....

"Hey, it's ok."

"She's dead , Olivia!!!" He yelled as he yanked his hands out of mine and buried his face in them. I just sat there, I didn't really know how to react, it was all a bit crazy.

"Ok, calm down babe."

"I was about to fly to Croatia when I got the call that my dad was found dead in his car...." What????!!! Not this again. I felt Drew's hurt and I just sat there. Drew's dad had always been like a father to me. He was Drew's best person in the world. It breaks me that he has to go through this and I don't know how to be here for him. He tried to be here when my mom died and I can only try to do same.

"Oh baby." I said as I got up and hugged him. He felt comfortable with me now. I didn't care if I would sleep in this position but I just wanted to be here with him. We could fight all day long but for the moments that matter, we would always be here for each other.I didn't care if he didn't tell me about his son, or his son's mom but I cared about how he felt right now and right now, he was hurt so I was hurt.

"I can't pretend to know how you feel, just know I'm here, know that I'm real. Reach for my hand cause it's held out for you, everything changes but one thing is to understand, I'll always gonna be here."