Chapter 31

Harry's POV
I had just finished eating lunch with Chris and Zayn, who were both adamant on meeting me almost everyday after I had gone back home. I still visit them everday of course, it also doesn't hurt that my mum's house is not too far from Chris' house, so I get to see them very often. I had even introduced her to Chris and managed to loosen her up about Zayn.

Ever since the incident, she's been a bit cold to him. It's not that she doesn't like him, it's just that she was swarmed with a load of emotions that she didn't exactly know how to handle.

"Alright, I'm going to use the bathroom," Zayn said as he stood up, wiping his hands off on a napkin.

This was the perfect time to talk to Chris about my plan.

"What do you think about me asking Zayn to be my boyfriend?" My words came out clumped an jumbled, causing his eyes to short up from his newspaper.

A smile crept onto his face after a moment, causing me to crack a smile to. He's always been so supportive of our relationship, I'm not sure why I was nervous.

"When are you planning on asking him?" Chris leaned in, almost like a school girl being told gossip.

"On Christmas," I said confidently.

His face changed just the slightest bit. "Maybe you should wait until after the holidays," he cleared his throat, "It's just that this time of year is hard for Zayn. And I just don't know if he's ready for a relationship." He talked himself through his thought process as he rubbed his temples.

My heart dropped when the words left his mouth. Although I just want Zayn to be mine, I kind of agree with him. He's probably not ready to be in a relationship but I don't care, he can hurt me as much as he wants and I'll still love him.

"Look mate, I know you love him but I'm just thinking about what's best for Zayn," he continued rubbing his eyes, "Besides, the thing we talked about earlier could help," his voice became quieter as Zayn returned from the bathroom, rubbing his hands on his jeans.

Giving Chris a knowing look, I stood up and said goodbye, but not before giving Chris a hug and Zayn a quick kiss.

"I'll see you tomorrow Zee."

He just nodded and politely smiled. Ever since I moved out, he's been acting distant towards me. I hope he doesn't think that I moved out because I don't want to be with him anymore, because that's not the case at all.

As I walk toward my car, I call the animal shelter, making an appointment for Christmas morning in two days.

Chris and I have been planning this for a while, we just never found the right time.

~Christmas Day~

I wake up in a tangle of limbs even though it's just Zayn and I. We spent all day yesterday watching movies and decorating cookies, all while throwing in a bit of snogging. It was really the perfect day and I hope I can make today even better.

Looking over to the clock, I notice it's ten o'clock. We only have two hours until the appointment.

I shake Zayn awake as he opens his eyes and swats me away.

"M'tired Harry," his rough, morning voice croaked out.

"But it's Christmas," I pouted.

He flopped over to the other side of the bed. Knowing that I wouldn't be able to persuade him to get out of bed, I tickled his sides, making him squirm and erupt into a fit of laughter.

"H-Harry stop!" He shreiked as tears of laughter flew down his face.

I didn't stop until he managed to get himself off the bed and tackle me from behind. Knowing that he was finally awake and alert, I chuckled as I gave him a piggy back ride to the living room where Chris was sitting, talking to someone on the phone.

I'm sure our muffled giggles could be heard on the other end but we didn't care.

When he finally ended the call, we exchanged gifts and hugs as Zayn clung to my side.

"Zaynie, we have one more for you," Chris said with a smile.

"Really?" Zayn beamed as crimson crept onto his face.

I nodded and picked him up bridal style, pulling his coat on while Chris followed closely behind.

"We have to go get it though." I chuckled as I watched his confused face.

"What do you mean?"

"You'll see."

As we drove to the animal shelter, I kept my mouth shut while Zayn asked millions of questions, guessing what the surprise was. It's nice to see him so full of energy and so happy, I don't get to see that side of him very often.

We pulled up to the parking lot and his eyes widened. "Are you getting me a pet or something?"

Chris and I smirked at each other before he spoke up.

"We're getting you a dog. A service dog to be exact."

"W-What do you mean?" His voice came out in a whimper. "I don't need a service dog."

I pulled him onto my lap and started to softly kiss is nose. "Zee, we want you to have something to help you when Chris and I aren't around," I began, "And besides, you don't even have to think of it as a service dog, just a regular pet."

Zayn took a deep breath and squeezed his eyes shut, mumbling a quick 'ok'.

Walking into the building, it smelled strongly of animal. Zayn scrunched his nose at the stench. I watched his uncertain face being exposed to everything.

Chris walked up to the main desk, checking us in for the appointment that we made while Zayn and I watched the fish swim around the large tanks lining up the walls of the animal shelter.

"Ok, I'll bring you to the room now," a woman's voice sweetly said as she motioned us to the back.

"All of these dogs are highly trained to meet your needs, now it's just a matter of which one you like best."

Standing back, she let us roam the room that was filled with energetic dogs. Everytime one trotted up to us and showed particular interest, she would recite out their names. I wonder how she can remember all of them.

Zayn looked uncomfortable as the dogs jumped around, constantly licking us.

Suddenly, I turned around and a pack of puppies attacked me, yipping and licking a bunch. Chris let out a booming laugh, but I didn't hear Zayn's quiet giggle.

Scanning the room, I noticed him in the corner crouching next to a shy looking golden retriever, stroking it's shiny fur as it's tail thumps against the floor.

"She seems to like you," the lady says to Zayn, "Her name is Bailey."

"Can we get her?"

"Of course, love."

Heyy I hope you enjoyed this chapter! Don't forget to vote and follow both of us!

So idk very much about the process of getting a service dog, and I'm sure I wrote it really inaccurately so I'm sorry about that haha.

Alsoo, sorry about the chapters taking so long but I promise we'll get back to daily updates!

-Michelle