chapter 01

CARINA'S POV

The whole ride home, I keep staring out the window. I can feel my heartbeat rising as we grow closer to the Manor. It's beating so hard against my chest I can almost hear it. Stupidly, I get scared thinking that my parents would be able to hear it too and realise how terrified I am. It has been around a year since I've been home last. "Nina!" Comes Draco's voice, pulling me out of my head. "Are you listening to me?" Before I can even shake my head and apologise, he continues, "Father says I'm gonna be Captain of the Quidditch team some day!" I turn to face my brother, a small smile on my face.

Merlin, I can't possibly love this kid anymore. I admit, it's a weird thought for a twelve year old to have but Draco truly is everything to me. There isn't any other way to put it. "That's amazing, Dray," I ruffle his platinum blonde hair, making him grin. That wide, beautiful grin that I'd grown to love. "What position would you want to play?" I try to make conversation, ignoring our parents, who are both sitting in front of us, eyeing me with caution. I always have to be extra careful with my words around them, I didn't want to get punished.

My little brother goes on and on about how he would like to be a Seeker. He's only nine but he has more ambition than anyone I've ever known. I'm sure he'll end up in Slytherin. The thought makes my smile falter for a second but I keep it under control, nodding at every word he says, holding his small hand in mine. Undoubtably, my dad would be very pleased with that. "I can't wait to go to Hogwarts!" He finishes, turning to our parents. "I can't wait to be a Slytherin!" Lucius smiles at him proudly, nodding his head in approval.

"Like your big sister," our mother, Narcissa, smiles in my direction. Barely, I think to myself, swallowing with difficulty. Draco nods vigorously, his grip tightening around my hand, silver eyes shining with delight. We were taught to hate the other houses, to treat magical creatures, half bloods and muggle borns as if they were less than us, but I never understood why. Dobby's a sweet elf and most half bloods I got to know were quite nice - not that any of them talk to me. I know Draco is more susceptible to our parents though, I still try to teach him things in my own time, when they're not around.

Finally, we arrive at the manor. The carriage turns right, into our wide driveway that leads off the lane. The high hedge curves with us, running off into the distance beyond the pair of impressive wrought-iron gates barring out strangers. They open up with a wave of my father's wand, letting us through. Instantly, the pure-white peacocks begin making their unique noise, stirring majestically along the top of the yew hedge. I can't deny it's a beautiful sight, but all it does is send shivers down my back.

And there it is, standing tall. The Manor house itself. It appears to be growing out of the darkness at the end of the straight drive. There are lights glinting in the diamond-paned downstairs windows. Dobby must be fixing up dinner. Father is the first to exit the carriage walking straight up to the front door, paying no mind to mum as she gets off right after him. Draco then jumps out, extending his little hand for me. "Thank you, kind sir," I joke lightly, holding it and getting off after. Draco gives me his signature smile before we both make our way inside. I am glad Draco's nature is kind and soft, despite everything that he's been taught to believe. He worries about the people he loves.

The hallway is large, larger than I remembered. Darker too, dimly lit, and sumptuously decorated, with a magnificent carpet covering most of the stone floor. The eyes of the pale-faced portraits on the walls follow us as we walk to the Dining Hall. "It's colder here than in Hogwarts," I let Draco know. He beams at my words, treasuring them. I'm sure the boy really looks forward to going, I know every thing I tell him about the school will make him happy. That's all I ever want for him. But I know it won't be so.

Without saying anything, we all make our way to the dining room, sitting down in our assigned positions after our father sits down first. It is sort of a rule at our house. No one eats unless Master Lucius was eating first. I notice the majority of the food is already placed at the table, but soon realise that the drinks were missing. This won't be good... "DOBBY!" Father's loud scream interrupts my thoughts, startling me. The elf rushes in, as fast as his little legs can take him, placing the jar of lemon water on top of the table with a scared look on his face.