chapter 51

tw: detention w umbridge, scars, self-harm. 

NARRATOR'S POV

"There you are!" Says Harry as Carina walks through the door of the Room of Requirement. The black haired girl chuckles, waving at the group of students. All of them are already standing in line, waiting for further instruction. Fred and George watch as she makes her way to Harry, who smiles as Carina takes her place next to him. "Okay, now that we're all here, today's a very important day... You'll be learning to cast your Patronus."

Carina has been able to see her Patronus' true form a few times while training with Sirius and Remus. She never really thought she would be able to do it, but after creating memories with them and Fred over the holidays, plus everything she already had from Draco, her boys and George from before, it came to her quite easily. The green eyed girl clears her throat, clapping once to gain everyone's attention. "We will be using the spell: Expecto Patronum to obtain our Patronuses." Everyone looks at each other, seeming quite nervous about the endeavour. "To perform said spell, it is important that one thinks of a powerful memory - the happiest you can muster."

The shorter Gryffindor nods in agreement. "Precisely, it has to be something that created a big impact on you. Allow it to fill you up," says Harry, doing a breathing motion with his hands. "Your Patronus will take the shape of an animal that represents you, your future or your past... For example," he takes his wand out and points it at an empty space in the room. "Expecto Patronum!" From the tip of his wand, a flash of white light appears, soon forming a stag, which walks proudly across the room.

Everyone watches in awe as it makes his way to Harry before the boy drops the wand, letting it dissipate. "My father had the same one," Harry shares with the group. Usually, he wouldn't be keen on sharing something so personal, but he trusts these people with his life. "Carina?" Harry turns towards her, nodding his head so that she shows them hers.

"Mine is... Quite shocking, but I promise it will not harm you," she settles on saying, swallowing down her fear of rejection. Fred has never seen her Patronus, but she knows he won't be anything other than proud of the fact that she can cast one. At her statement, some students take a step back, not wanting to interfere. Fred stays in his spot, looking over at his girlfriend with a reassuring grin. Carina lets that smile engulf her, and she closes her eyes for a split second as memories of them laughing and having fun flash behind her lids. "Expecto Patronum," she murmurs in a low voice, her wand pointed at where Harry's previously was.

Gasps are heard all across the room at the sight of a mighty, strong Thestral stands in front of the group in an almost menacing, over protective way. It takes its place directly in front of Carina, blocking her from the view of everyone else. Its skeletal body, instead of making it seem weak, made it seem even more terrifying. The black, wide, leathery wings that propped out of its back made him appear even bigger.

Even Harry backs away, his eyes wide in shock. He'd never seen a Thestral Patronus before... Fred stares in awe as well, feeling George hold on to his shoulder, seemingly afraid. Part of Fred's heart sinks to the floor as Carina's Patronus gazes directly at him, while the other part beats faster out of expectancy. Slowly, the glorious animal starts to walk in Fred's direction. Carina tilts her head as she watches it lower its head, signalling trust and respect. At the action, Carina feels people glancing at her, causing her to straighten up. Before anyone can make a comment, Carina flicks her wand, forcing it to disappear.

"Go on now, show's over," says the older girl, her arms across her chest to make people get to it faster. It's not like she minds being the centre of attention, but after her break up with Fred during the Yule Ball, people's comments on her relationship made her uncomfortable, so she opted to keep them at bay as much as possible. Immediately, the groups break up and they begin to work on their Patronuses. Harry turns to Carina, as if trying to think on something to say, but she shakes her head quietly, raising a finger at him in a menacingly joking manner. "Not a word."