chapter 31

tw: may increase anxiety. mentions of abuse and sa. reader's discretion is advised.

sexual themes, alcohol, cigarettes and drugs are involved in this chapter; content marked +13

NARRATOR'S POV

Fred walks with his hands in his pockets, distracted by everything and nothing as he makes his way to the After Party. He can't believe he didn't ask Carina to the Ball. He can't believe Carina kissed Montague. He can't believe it all crashed and burned so fast.

"Watch it, Malfoy," he hears Graham's voice from a few feet away from him, forcing him to look up. The older boy had bumped into Draco on purpose. "Wouldn't want me to go to your sister again, would you?" Fred narrows his eyes at the boy's words, pushing himself behind a corner to listen in to the conversation without being seen.

Draco reacts badly, going in to shove Montague away from him, only to be held back by Blaise. "Shut your fucking mouth, Montague -"

The blue eyed boy interrupts him with a sinister laugh, taunting him. "- You wanna hit me, Malfoy?" Graham tilts his head to the side. "Go on then. You know I'm stronger now, more so than I've ever been..." Draco struggles against Zabini's grip, snarling at Graham carelessly. "Hit me. Prove that you are ready to become a Death Eater when the time comes..." Fred feels his blood run cold.

"I will never," snaps Draco, freeing himself from Blaise's grip. "I will not join Voldemort," he mutters, shaking his head and glaring at Montague.

Montague chuckles darkly, raising his hand and pressing into Draco's cheeks in a teasing manner. "You look like you're about to cry," he pouts dramatically, staring at Draco's shiny grey eyes. "Your sister didn't. I almost wish I would've been sent to recruit her instead of you... I don't know why she would give herself to me just to spare you," he says, voice sarcastically sweet. "You would think Lucius beat some sense into her... maybe he should've hit her harder," Fred can't feel his legs, he can't move, he can barely breathe. "That's her problem," mutters Montague, roughly letting go of Draco's face. "She'd do anything for the ones she loves and that will be her downfall."

With that, the older Slytherin begins to walk away. Draco can't help the tears that slip from his eyes. "My sister will never be yours," he tells Graham, making him stop and turn his head to the side slightly.

"She already gave me what I asked for," retorts Montague with a nonchalant shrug. "Just to stop me from training you for a job you are bound to do... She's only delaying the inevitable," Blaise stiffens beside his friend, holding on to Draco's arm. "Lucius won't be as easy to persuade as I was," he reminds the younger Malfoy with a small smirk on his face. "Perhaps she could become his punching bag again. He seemed to enjoy that."

"You fucking -" Draco gets cut off when Montague shoves him against the wall with a wandless spell, earning a low grunt from the platinum haired boy. Fred's eyes grow as he watches Graham overpower Draco with little effort, blindly reaching for his wand. However, Blaise is faster, and he takes out his own wand and points it at Montague, with an unsure expression on his face.

Graham looks between them, scoffing at Blaise's actions, rolling his eyes. "How pathetic," says the Slytherin Prefect, lowering his hand and letting Draco fall on the floor, coughing repeatedly. Blaise keeps his wand up, unmoving. Chuckling, Graham shakes his head, turning back around to leave. "Try crossing me again, Malfoy... We'll see what that costs your sister."

As Montague leaves, Fred can't do anything but watch. He's frozen in place. His body is not his to control, neither is his mind. Pictures of Graham and Carina flash before his eyes and he almost wants to throw up. There are so many unanswered questions, his eyes shift between Graham's figure to Draco and Blaise, who are both on the floor. Draco holds his chest as he coughs and Blaise pats his friend's back, murmuring words of support.