chapter 05

CARINA'S POV

"They're staring," Adrian mumbles under his breath as we walk through the halls. Amazing detective, this one would've made. I roll my eyes as I notice people are indeed looking in our direction, murmuring amongst themselves.

"That's cause we're walking with the possible Heiress of Slytherin," Graham retorts, making me turn around to glare at him. Miles chuckles at my reaction before hiding his face once he sees I'm getting pissed.

Rumours about me and Draco being the 'Heirs of Slytherin' began spreading after people learned about the legend of the Chamber of Secrets. Apparently, we're the ones that petrified Mrs Norris, and Colin Creevey, a First Year Muggle born kid. I'm a hundred percent sure it wasn't me. Could it be Draco? Maybe, but the chances are very low. Of course, he has some qualities that could make him Heir of our house but it doesn't quite fit. Unlike me, though, he's loving the attention we're getting because of this. Even more so now, that he's about to begin in the Slytherin Quidditch team.

"I am not the Heiress," I mutter, narrowing my eyes. "And I don't think Draco's the Heir either - doesn't make sense. It's not logical for me to be, I've been here for four years!" I remind them.

To my surprise, Cass shrugs, "Maybe it just opened because now the two of you are here, and you're both the heirs," he points out. Adrian's lips curl downwards as he nods in agreement, taking that into account. "Maybe it needed the both of you to open," he says in a scary, low voice, trying to sound mysterious.

"Nip it, Cassius," I gesture my finger over my lips, shaking my head. "You're not helping," As the Hufflepuff first years see us coming down the hall, they stop, startled, and turn back. "It's not as if I'm the devil, damn," Adrian pats my shoulder supportively. "Come on, no more Heir talk, let's just get to the game: my boys can't be late," Draco's first Quidditch game is today. Father will be attending. I'm not looking forward to that, at all.

As we walk, I spot the twins and their bats, walking down the opposite hall. George nods at me, as if asking me for a chat, so I clear my throat, "Get going to the changing rooms, I'll be out there in time to see you enter the pitch, promise," Cass hums, letting me know he's heard me before the four of them leave. "What's up?" I approach George carefully, trying to make it seem like I'm annoyed, in case anyone's watching.

"Aren't you gonna wish good luck to your best friend?" He inquires, tilting his head to the side. I take a deep breath, wondering if this is the only reason why he's asked me to talk to him in public, with my dad around. "C'mon, Nina! You always wish me good luck! Is it different now because we're playing against your baby brother?"

Bewildered, I shake my head, "That doesn't change anything, Georgie. Good luck out there, hit all those Bludgers, just please don't kill my brother," I settle on saying, making him chuckle and nod. "Weasley," I raise my eyebrows at Fred, acknowledging his presence, "Hold on tight to that broom of yours... Wouldn't want you to fall," I say sarcastically. The older twin looks at me with repugnance.

"You'd love that, wouldn't you, Serpent?" Fred spits out the endearing nickname he so graciously picked out for me as if it was venom in his mouth, tightening his grip on the bat.

"That's what I've just implied, but I guess you're too thick to understand sarcasm," I shrug, pretending to be unfazed. Fred opens his mouth to say something, but I cut him off, "Not interested, sorry! See you after, Georgie," I sneak a quick pat to his shoulder before turning around and walking towards the Slytherin stands. I can hear George's laughter as Fred complains about me but I ignore it.

He started this war of hatred the day he called me Serpent for the first time and everyday after that.

I position myself next to Blaise and Pansy, who are both standing in the front row. "Your dad's staring," Blaise says to me, nudging my side. I turn to look at the professor's stand, noticing my father's standing next to Snape. He eyes me curiously and I bow my head in recognition, a small smirk appearing on his face. He's just testing me.