In The Night

During their break, I had the chance to discuss with the most of the boys. That helped me a lot to feel more comfortable among them. I learned that Joly studied Medicine and that Combeferre loved philosophy and history. Lesgle seem to be the most unfortunate man in the world, but that didn't bother him and Courfeyrac had a very sweet personality. Each one of them had a different unique personality. Although I had a small talk with most of them, the chief material with the divine blond hair, as Grantaire had described him, seemed to be distant. I cached Enjolras checking at me a couple of times, while I had a chat with Feuilly. I desided to approach the young man first.

"Do you want me to bring you a drink monsieur Enjolras?"

He stared at me for a moment without answering "Excuse me" he finally said "I was zoned out. Can you please repeat your question?"

"I just wandered if you wanted to have a drink." I repeated.

"No, no thank you. I think R drinks enough for us both" answered with an awkward smile.

---

The meeting went on and on until it was really late.

"Alright mon amis!" shouted Enjolras. "Tomorrow we'll meet here at the same hour."

Everyone's drowsy faces looked relieved when Enjolras finally dismissed them. Then I remembered my brothers advice.

"Jehan!" I shouted. I saw a tired pair of eyes staring at me and desided to not express my suggestion. Jehan lived in the opposite direction from me and was already ready to fall in sleep.

"What is it mon ami?" he spoke gently.

"Nothing... I just wanted to say Bonne nuit!" I smiled and he drowsy smiled back.

"Bonne nuit y/n" I heard R's voice saying.

"Bonne nuit jolie fille!" said Courf carrying an already asleep Gavroche in his arms.

The others nodded or waved to me as they went out. Enjolras was still here collecting his scripts and maps from the table and carefully placing them in his coat's large pocket.

I started mopping the floor and the tables one last time before I could finally return to my home to rest.

"Claudel"

"Oui monsieur"

"Is your home far from here?" he asks.

"I can't say is near either" I respond.

"Do you mind if I accompany you? These streets are not safe this late hour for a young girl to walk." he says seriously.

"It would be very kind of you monsieur Enjolras."

He nodded and waited for me to lock the Café.

We walked the streets of sleeping Paris without saying anything. We heard some drunk voices a couple of times but keeped walking. Then he desided to break the silence.

---

Enjolras's POV:

I gathered all of my courage to form the question that was since yesterday in my head. "Claudel?"

"Yes?"

"This song you sang yesterday, was it, all written by yourself?"

She smiles and nodds.

"And the lyrics too?"

"Oui" now she smiles widely.

I turn my stare from her to the shining pavement on the street. "Quite interesting... A hymn to hope and liberty huh?"

"Or a love interest that leads to liberty through hope." she answers with her clever eyes sparkling. "Or is it maybe a relationship who leads to hope, through liberty?" she smiles widely staring straight at my eyes.

"Like the one you and your brother have" I say.

"Exactly." she answers. "All three interpretations are correct. It's the listeners who deside which one is the right for them."

"So everyone get what they want..." I half smirk.

---

"This is me" she suddenly says. "That's where I live."

I look towards the house and nodd. "Bonne nuit Claudel. It was a nice time."

"Bonne nuit monsieur Enjolras"

"Please stop calling me monsieur" I mumble.

She breaks a smile. "As you wish"

"Take care" I wave and return to the shadows of the street.