The Cold

Y/N's POV:

Many days passed from the day I started working at the Café. Every evening I was the first to go and the last to leave -and there was always somebody to accompany me when it was the time to return home. Now I could tell that I had -finally made a long discussion with each of them, I knew them, heard their voices every evening at the Café and every night ringing in my head. Many times I couldn't sleep thinking about what was said a few hours ago...

One day, I woke up before my brother -as usual, so at first I didn't realize that something was different about this day. I waited and waited for him to wake up but he did not. Sometimes that happens when he studies until past midnight, so I didn't want to bother him. But now it was really late.  I thought that if I didn't put an end to his peaceful sleeping, he would be late to his class...So I walked gently in his room, pushed him lightly and started to talk to him.

"Wake up Theo... Hey, monsieur Claudel, you'll be late...OH MY GOD YOUR HANDS ARE SO COLD!"

"What is it y/n" he answered with difficulty. "What happened? What time is it?"

"Oh gosh, Theo, I think you have fever. I think you've catch a cold..."

He started coughing while trying to answer me. My fears were true.

"Oh you must be seen by a doctor"

"I don't think so y/n... I think I'll tolerate it... And now I must get up and go to school." he said briefly.

"Are you kidding me?" I shouted

"Not at all" he replied seriously. "If I don't go, I'll be one step closer to expulsion from the University."

I tried to stop him but he didn't want to listen. He totally ignored me. With Drowsy and fever-drunk steps he made his way to the door case while I begged him to stay inside and not face the cold wind.

"If you want to help me, just accompany me until I get into the university." he said.

I was holding my tears. I was feeling a great hidden fear because "a simple cold" was also the cause of my father's and mother's death. He would never listen to me, this time. I knew it. So I just nodded and helped him climb down the stairs.

When we came out of the building, the freezing wind slapped our faces. Yesterday you could feel that it was the last warm day of the autumn, but today the weather was beyond our imagination.

I grabbed his arm and held his hand into mine, trying to keep him warm. His steps were unsure, so we walked slowly.

We reached the university just in time -Theo couldn't make it any further. I left him there with a great agony and started walking. I walked without a destination for a long time, made circles, rewalk many streets, until my footsteps led me to Café Musain.