To Share An Idea

Enjolras 's POV:

"Oh, this, y/n, is my friend Enjolras, whom I accompanied to his way to the university today" says Jehan at last.

I didn't realize, but I freaked out at this moment. How do you greet the person who kept your mind awake the whole night?

"Nice to meet you monsieur Enjolras" she says and I feel a relief that I didn't have to speak first -it's the first time in my life that I say this.

"Nice to meet you too mademoiselle Claudel" I say staring her at her eyes. Then I see something weird. She offers me a handshake, a manly handshake without to think it too much. She's different, that's for sure.

"Are you the one who sang near the fountain?" I ask her fondly, taking courage from the handshake.

"Oui monsieur" she answers. "But the winter is coming fast and I should find another job for the season, so saddly the only thing that will be heard near the fountain of St. Michel will be the cries of the unfortunate who crave the justice and live in unjustice."

Is she trying to excite me? Because she just did. I nodd my head agreeing with her.

"It is nice that you care so much about the French people mademoiselle and I agree with every word that came out of your mouth, but it would be better for you to remain silent." I whisper to her. I lean closer to her and continue "Now it happened that we share the same ideas about the misery of our country, but other persons would easily harm you for saying something like this. Do you understand what I'm saying?" I search into her eyes for an answer, some seconds pass with her remaining silent, then she speaks.

"I do monsieur. But I have learned to speak my mind and support my ideas. I have some values that I think they should not be silenced."

Jehan is looking at us internally smiling but externally worried. I understand immediately what his stare means -policemen are near. No, it is not the time yet to speak loud our ideas. We should not make obvious our plans. It is not the time...

"Well, it was nice to meet you mademoiselle Claude" I say "Now, about your winter job, I think it would be useful for you to ask for a job at Café Musain. I think monsieur Prouvaire can show you the way"

Jehan nodds and offers her his hand. They leave and I get in the university just about in time to declare my presence.

"Enjolras?"

"I'm here professor"