№36|The 7 Mile Escape From Candyland

Start from the beginning

“1 mile so far.” Medusa replied, laying down on her stomach as she continued to take notes. “Chelia, is Montego done digging? I need to see if the collar I had him wear tracked his pattern.”

“Their shift was over 30 minutes ago, but him and Dayo are racing to see who can dig the fastest.” Giselle chuckled as she watched Montego and Dayo returned to the surface.

“I win!” Montego cheered.

“Only because I hit a patch of really tough roots.” Dayo punched him playfully.

Chelia passed Montego a water bottle. “Your shift was up 30 minutes ago, ya know.”

“Yeah, but I was having fun.” Montego smiled cheekly.

And this is why you can’t be a father yet. She ruffled Montego’s hair. Far too innocent for fatherhood. She giggled, wiping dirt off his cheek. “Be careful with the roots… Celaneo’s worried the trees might die out if we hurt them.”

Montego nodded, kissing her cheek, “oki doki.”

Celaneo sat in the trees, sighing softly. It seemed like the deeper the dug the more plant roots were damaged.

She was snapped out of her thoughts when she felt Orion, in his wolf form, scratching at the bottom of the tree. “Orion! Be careful!” Cleano scolded, Orion whimpered and backed away from the tree.

Celaneo hopped down, crouching in front of Orion. “Does it have to be a tunnel underground?”

Orion nuzzled her softly. “Sorry… it’s the best route… I know you’re worried about the plants, but I’m sure they’re okay.”

“It’s just you wolves are so reckless with the digging…” Celaneo muttered, her fingers running through grass.

“Don’t worry, Celaneo,” Barron patted the top of her head, “I told the wolves to be careful with roots. I know how much you hate when the plants get hurt.”

“Thanks, Barron.” Celaneo smiled softly.

“Is it our shift now?” Yvette groaned, tapping her foot impatiently.

“Yes, it is, shona.” Alistair kissed her cheek, earning a lingering growl from Endar.

Katya slapped Endar behind the head. “Stop that… he’s a nice young man.”

“Yeah, but that’s our Lastachka!” Endar gestured towards the blush pink wolf that chased the black wolf.

“Look how happy she is, though!” Katya cheered. “Don’t they remind you of someone?”

“Who?” Endar tilted his head in confusion.

“Us!” Katya hit his chest playfully. “Remember when we started dating? We were just like them.”

“Yeah, we are.” Endar sighed in delight, kissing the top of Katya’s head. Endar pulled her in close by her hips. “Are you ready to see your man dig?”

Katya snorted in laughter. “Was that supposed to be a pick up line? An attempt at being flirty?”

“Did it work?” Endar sweatdropped.