Chapter 12

Lia
I walk into my first period and take my seat next to Lilly.

Someone else can sit next to Jake from now on because it's not going to be me.

"Hey girly." Lilly says as I plop down.

"Hi." My voice cracks in all sorts of ways. I grab my throat.

"Woah. Where did your voice go?"

My brother took me to the rink last night. So I could just slap a whole bunch of pucks around with a hockey stick. It was a nice stress reliever, but I did yell, shout, and scream a lot.

"Hockey." Is all I say.

"You can't skate."

"I wasn't skating. I was hitting a lot of pucks."

There's also a bruise on my knee from when I attempted to break a stick over it. I give my best friends outfit a look over.

"You're wearing Mike's hoodie." I say, my voice changing octaves and going in and out.

"Indeed I am." She smiles.

"When do you guys plan on making it official?"

"Whenever he asks me to be his girlfriend."

I place my hands on my desk and clasp then together. I'm gonna have a talk with Mike.

"Hey Lilly, hey Lia." I turn my head in the direction of the voice. Toby.

"Hey!" I say, "didn't know you were in this class." I kind of feel bad.

"It's okay. I sit towards the back. I sleep sometimes." Toby says.

Lilly and I laugh. Toby decides to take a seat behind us.

The teacher walks in signaling the start of class. Jake does not take his regular seat and instead sits in the back of the class.

Toby taps my shoulder and Lilly and I turn around.

"Look who put himself in time out." Toby whispers motioning to Jake sitting in the corner.

Lilly and I muffle our laughs.

"What a pussy." Lilly says.

"Wonder how his balls are doing." I add.

We all muffle our laughs. Jake sends a glare our way but instead of cowering, I keep my head up.

"Lia, Lilly, and Toby! Do you guys have something more important than my teaching to discuss?" Our teachers voice sounds through the class. It goes silent. She hasn't even started teaching.

Lilly and I sit straight in our seats. I can hear Toby laughing to himself, he's going to get in even more trouble.

"Was that funny to you Toby?" My teacher says.

"A little." He's going to get in trouble.

I feel my whole body tense.

"Well just be quiet and pay attention." Is all she says before returning back to teaching.

Okay then.

_____

"I can't believe I missed all that!" Ellie says.

As usual, Mike, Lilly, and Ellie sit across from Colton and I. But we have some others that have joined our table. Next to me is Kylie. and at the ends of the table, Toby and Logan.

We all just told Ellie about what went down at the party. Everyone has commented on my voice.

"Next Party one of you better sneak me out." She points at every single one of us at the table.