༄7

༄༄༄
"There is so much beauty in letting go of pain, watching scars turn into butterflies before they fly away."
-Christy Ann Martine
༄༄༄

"-Christy Ann Martine༄༄༄

AEMIN

I walk through the hallways of the castle, politely nodding at the people around me as always. It's easy to forget that I'm also a princess, so it sometimes shocks me when some of the nobility know who I am.

My father's brother is the King, his daughter the royal princess. Since I'm the daughter of the King's brother, I'm technically a princess, but also free to do things that aren't considered proper for a princess to be doing. It's the same with my brother Jaemin, except he's a prince.

The King is someone I don't actually talk with often. He's an aloof figure, I've rarely ever seen him with his own daughter. It wasn't always like that. His wife, the Queen, was killed by enemy invaders a couple years after Rinae was born. Before that, Rinae was free to go wherever she wanted, and I would never have been permitted to become a knight.

But then the Queen was killed, and the King succumbed to his grief. He stopped caring about his brother, and me, and Jaemin, only caring about Rinae. She's kept well away from danger, and put under my protection, the only one he trusts completely.

He's right to trust me, because I am fully prepared to even sacrifice my own life for her. I would never let her ever get hurt, not again.

Right now, I head down to her bedroom, knowing she's probably not even awake yet.

I smile remembering some moments from our youth.

"Aemin, why do you have that?"

"It's a sword, Rinae, isn't it so cool?"

"No, it's scary! Put it away!"

Rinae runs away, hiding her small body behind the bedpost in her room. I frown, placing the sword on the ground, its blade pointed away from her. Then I run over and sit next to her, pulling her into a hug.

"Are you really scared?"

She nods her head.

"Relax, I would never hurt you. Actually, I'll protect you!"

"Huh?"

"From big scary people with swords! I'll protect you! So you never have to be scared again!"

"Really? Thanks, Aemin! You can be my knight."

"I will! I vow to it!"

I smile softly as I stare at her door, my fingers tracing the designs on it that we drew when we were younger. The King and Queen had both been furious to find the markings from crayons on the pure white door, but Rinae had convinced them not to wash it off. It was a bit faded now, but still there.