༄18

༄༄༄
"You can't cross the sea merely by standing and staring at the water."
- Rabindranath Tagore
༄༄༄

"- Rabindranath Tagore༄༄༄

JISUNG

"Wake up, kid," a croaky voice says, as I roll over sleepily. "Come on, buddy, you can't go falling asleep in abandoned parks."

"Grandma?" I ask, sitting up and rubbing my eyes.

Shelly swims in a circle around my face, the bubbles and swirls he creates waking me up fully.

"Yes, it is I," my grandma says, pulling me off the ground by my wrist.

I flick my tail so I don't fall back over onto the sand. The notebook is still tucked underneath my arms, despite the fact that I hadn't been holding onto it very tight.

"Come on, explorer boy," my grandma says, "I said I would give you a compass, right? So you can go on more adventures?"

"What's a compass?" I ask, still confused about that.

"You'll find out," she says, then swims away.

I quickly dust the remaining sand off of myself and the notebook before quickly swimming after her. The water swirls and catches on my scales as I swim through it, little bubbles following me everywhere. It's weird that above water, the air doesn't do that, or at least you can't see it doing that.

It takes a while since my grandma's house is cast out of the rest of the town, but eventually we reach the driftwood styled to look like an enormous seashell that she calls home.

Grandma promptly ignores the door, popping open the window and slipping in. I simply open the unlocked door and swim inside.

As I'm walking inside, grandma is already opening up drawers and looking through shelves, making a mess of her house.

"Found it!" she says, holding out a big gold disk with a chain attached to it.

I take it from her, feeling the cool metal underneath my fingers with a bit of curiosity. Metal is incredibly rare in the ocean, because it rusts once exposed to the salt water. There's a little bit of the red already creeping up on the gold metal of the compass, but the rest is still smooth and shiny.

The compass has a drawing of something that looks like a star inside it, and a needle that always points to the top of the star labeled with an N. Grandma grabs it from me and uses the chain to hang it around my neck like a necklace.

"So it's a glorified necklace?" I ask.

"No, that's just there so you don't lose it," she says, rolling her eyes. "The needle always points north. So you'll never get lost."

"North?" I ask, confused. "Is that what the N stands for?"

"Oh," she says, "I sort of forgot we don't use those directions down here. Yeah, that won't be a lot of help, but I guess you can keep it."