Chapter Thirteen: Unannounced Visitors

Harry spent the next two days trailing after Draco like a shadow, both at home and at work. Part of him was scared that if he looked away for even a second, the other man would disappear. The other part of him was fascinated by every move Draco made – whether it was him comforting a patient or him lecturing Harry on the importance of brushing his teeth for a minimum of two minutes. Harry spent hours observing, and he still couldn't figure out what was going on in Draco's head.

            After the first night, there was an unspoken understanding: Harry would share the bed with Draco so Draco wouldn't be plagued by nightmares. Neither mentioned it in the morning as they untangled their limbs.

            On his fourth day there, Harry was on the couch flipping through the TV, and Draco was in the shower when a white otter swam into the room. "Oh no."

            "Oh no, what?" Draco asked, stepping into the room. His eyes landed on the Patronus. "Oh."

            "We're on our way, Harry," the otter said in Hermione's voice.

            "They don't mean..." Draco frowned.

            A knock on the front door made both men jump. Harry hurried to the door and flung it open.

            "Harry!"

            "Mate!"

            He was engulfed in two different hugs at once, barely able to breathe.

            "Well," Draco drawled, "please come in." Harry could hear the annoyance in his voice.

            Hermione and Ron released Harry and stepped inside.

            "To what do I owe this pleasure?"

            "Ah, well, you see..." Hermione stuttered. Apparently, standing before Draco after his prolonged absence was enough to throw her off balance.

            "We hadn't heard from Harry, and we were worried about him," Ron finished for her, glaring at Draco.

            "But how did you find your way to my front door? I thought I had hidden it well enough that others wouldn't be able to find it." Draco seemed genuinely curious, less annoyed than interested.

            Hermione colored and mumbled something under her breath.

            "What was that, Granger?"

            Harry rolled his eyes. "She put a permanent tracking spell on me, against my will, I would like to add. Something about my safety..."

            "Hey! It's the only reason you were found when you were chasing Faelri! You would have died if it hadn't been for me!"

            "Died?" Draco paled.

            Ron nodded. "Harry fell off a cliff, and no one could find him. Broke both his legs and an arm. Nasty fall."

            Draco nodded absently, his eyes inspecting Harry's body with his doctor's look. "They did a good job fixing you."

            "Can we move this out of the entryway and into the living room?" Harry suggested, trying to change the subject and hide his blushing."

            "Be my guest," Draco motioned for them all to take a seat.

            Once they were seated, Ron and Hermione and Harry on the couch, Draco in the armchair, an awkward silence descended on them until Draco broke it. "Can I expect any other unwanted visitors?"

            Hermione shook her head, her hair flying. "We didn't tell anyone where we were going. Your secret is safe with us."

            "What secret?" Ron asked.

            "That I'm alive," Draco sneered.

            "Oh. I didn't know we were into keeping Malfoy's secrets."

            "Ron..." Harry groaned. "I've found Draco, but he doesn't want to be found. He wants me to keep it from everyone."

            Hermione frowned. "What are you going to tell your superiors, Harry? For the case?"

            Harry shrugged. "Lie and say I never found him."

            Hermione gasped. Ron asked, "You'd risk your job for Malfoy?"

            Harry could feel Draco's gaze on him, but he didn't look over. "Yea, I will. Even if I think he's making the wrong choice, he deserves to be able to do that. Besides, what he's doing here is amazing."

            "Are you a doctor?" Hermione asked Draco.

            He raised his eyebrows. "Got it in one, Granger. How'd you know?"

            Hermione smiled softly at him. "Frist, the scrubs gave you away as a medical professional. Second, you were always the smartest in classes besides me – I figured you'd excel in medical courses. But are you working as a muggle?"

            Draco nodded, and Ron grunted in surprise.

            "Everything's changed, guys," Harry muttered.

            "That's true. I'm not the same Malfoy you both knew. Which means I owe you both an apology for my past behavior. I hope you will forgive me in time."

            Hermione leaped up from the couch and wrapped her arms around a very surprised Draco. "Of course we do. I've always wanted to be your friend – we were so similar in school! It drove me crazy you were such a prat!"

            Ron stared at his wife before sighing. He stood and offered Draco his hand as soon as Hermione let him go. "If Hermione forgives you, I guess I have to too."

            Draco took the hand and shook, then looked to Harry for clarification. Harry smirked at him. "Welcome to the Golden Trio, Ferret."