Chapter Twenty-Three: The Reply

Draco refolded the letter and put it back in his pocket, groaning all the while. He put his head in his hands. Since the letter had arrived six days ago, Draco had read it continuously, even taking to carrying it on him at all times. He unfolded it, reread it, then replaced it on an endless loop.

What did Harry get out of sending him something like this? Something that called into question everything about the past? Everything that Draco thought he'd understood. Just... everything.

Glancing at the clock, Draco stood. He had a job to do.

The entire night he was distracted, working on autopilot. At the end of the night, Dr. Peters called him over.

"Draco, what's the matter?"

"Nothing."

She gave him the same look his mother had given him growing up when she knew he was lying.

"Fine. Harry sent me a letter."

Raising an eyebrow, she clarified, "An actual letter? On paper?"

"Yes."

"How romantic. What'd it say?"

Draco shifted uncomfortably. "Well..."

"Did it say something along the lines of 'you hurt me, and I love you'?"

Draco's mouth dropped open. "How'd you know?"

"Lucky guess."

Scowling at the woman, Draco unconsciously slipped his hand into his pocket to touch the now-worn parchment.

"Let's go to my office, shall we?"

"I'm drained and don't have time, Dr. Peters. I -," he was cut off by a firm grip on his arm. She steered him down the hall, pushing him into the chair across from her desk.

"Tea?"

"Do I get a choice?" grumbled Draco.

"No. You don't. I'll be right back."

While she was gone, Draco kept his eyes closed. He was starting to get a headache. Startled from his contemplations by a mug being shoved into his hands, Draco jumped, almost spilling the hot liquid.

"Now, let's get down to business. What are you going to do about the letter?"

"Do about it?"

"Besides carry it around and read it until it disintegrates, that is."

"How did you know I have it on me?" Draco exclaimed, incredulous.

Dr. Peters smirked. "I saw you pull it out several times tonight."

"Oh." Draco gazed into his tea.

"So, are you going to write him back?"

"No!"

"Whyever not?"

"I told you, he's better off without me."

Letting out a long-suffering sigh, Dr. Peters said, "He seems to think otherwise."

"Well, he's rather hard-headed, always goes into things without thinking them through."

"That doesn't make him wrong."

Draco paused, letting her words sink in. After a moment, he sniffed. "Regardless, he's better off without me."

"What about what's best for you, Draco?"

"What do you mean?"

"I've never seen you as happy as you were when he was here."

Draco sniffed again. "My happiness has no consideration in this."

"Why not?"

"Because he's too daft to realize he could do so much better than a... than me."

"Really? Because I think you're a rather stunning human being," Dr. Peters announced, surprising Draco. "Does Harry make you happy?"

Draco couldn't lie. He nodded.

"Then why can't you write him back and tell him that? What are you scared of?"

Closing his eyes, Draco leaned back in his chair. "I'm scared that I'll be too happy, and use up all the happiness allotted to me in this lifetime, and run out and be crushed."

Snapping his eyes open at the sound of Dr. Peters's laughter, Draco glowered at her. "What?"

"There isn't a finite amount of happiness you get, Draco; that's not how it works."

"How do you know?"

"Because I'm older and wiser than you are. Now I'm not leaving this office until you write a reply. You don't have to send it, but you are going to write it. Here are a pen and paper.

Grumbling, Draco grabbed the offered objects and stared down at the blank page. Taking a deep breath, he began to write.

Harry –

Thank you for your letter.

I don't know what to say, besides I'm sorry. I'm so very, terribly sorry.

You know where to find me if you ever want to. I'll always be here should you need me.

Draco L. Malfoy