Hunter's Game

Before anyone reads this please note that some of the material will contain extreme violence, mature themes, coarse language, and descriptions that may be upsetting or triggering for some readers. If you do not feel like you can read this, you have the right to go to another story. Reader discretion is advised. Thank you!

Sam walked into the local bar late on Saturday night

Sam walked into the local bar late on Saturday night. Usually, there would be an accompanying joke but he couldn't think of any good ones off the top of his head.

Sam Foster was born and raised in the sleepy snowy town in Colorado called Ouray, a place nestled right in the center of a rocky valley surrounded by mountains and forests. He'd live here all 28 years of his life, as did his brothers who had long ago moved away and parents who had sadly passed away last year. Even his long-time girlfriend, who was his bride-to-be, had grown up right down the street from where he had lived. But something had happened to her as did many people who had lost someone in the past three months. As if a dark cloud of terror had swept across the State. Folks were now afraid to walk out at night, making Sam one of the braver few to be out at this hour.

There was no explanation for the disappearances or, more accurately, murders. It all started just over three months ago with the first victims, Tom Everoak and his wife Melissa. The Reports that had been released by police explained that the pair had a love for late-night jogging, especially going into the woods often going off trail for little adventures as stated by friends and relatives. Far away from the ever-presence of prying eyes.

 Sam knew Tom, not particularly well, just the odd beer at the bar they both frequented

Sam knew Tom, not particularly well, just the odd beer at the bar they both frequented. He would often brag about going out late at night with his wife. The best way one could describe the pair was that they were both adrenaline junkies and fitness freaks. Outside of the beers and junk food he'd eat, Tom never gained any weight on that lengthy body of his looking more like an Olympic athlete than a salaryman. He would say how jogging in the forest after nine was good for him and his wife, if it was half past midnight they'd find a spot near the river or deep in the wood and make love. Sam definitely didn't need to hear about Tom and Melissa screwing like a pair of sex-crazed rabbits, or as the kids of today would say TMI. but then they disappeared. Tom and Melissa were found by an undiscovered hot spring by a hiking group, torn to pieces to the point of near unrecognition and turning the pure blue water red.