Chapter 4 : The King of Fools

Quasimodo climbed down the side of the cathedral and onto a balcony below. His sister had been right. He would just sneak out and enjoy the festival and return to the cathedral before frollo even knew he was gone. He looked down at the crowd in amazement as they began to sing.

"Come, one"

"Come, all"

"Leave your looms and milking stools"

"Coop the hens and pen the mules"

He grabs hold of a rope covered in flags and climbs along the rope until he makes it to a wooden pole not far from the church. "Come, one" "Come, all" "Close the churches and the schools" He grabs hold of the rope and leans out to get a better look when the rope comes lose and he swings into the crowd.

"lt's the day for breaking rules"

"Come and join the Feast....Of......Fools!

shouts a gypsy man as he slides out from behind the crowd. He was dressed like a jester of some sort. His clothes where a strange mix of blue, magenta, purple, and gold. He wore a magenta colored mask and a blue hat with a gold feather. He smiled at the crowd as he began to sing.

"Once a year we throw"

"a party here in town"

"Once a year we turn"

"all Paris upside-down"

"Every man's a king"

"and every king's a clown"

"Once again it's topsy-turvy day"

As soon as he noticed Quasimodo standing there Quasimodo ran.

"It's the day the devil in us gets released"

"It's the day we mock the prig and shock the priest"

"Everything is topsy turvy at the feast of fools!"

"Topsy-turvy"

"Everything is upsy-daisy"

"Topsy-turvy"

"Everyone is acting crazy"

Quasimodo tried to hide from the gypsy king in a tent only to get stuck in a chorus line of dancers.

"Dross is gold and weeds are a bouquet"

"That's the way on topsy-turvy day"

Quasimodo fell through a tent and out the other side accidently knocking someone over. "Hey!" Oh no. Quasimodo thought. I've been caught. Suddenly the women he had accidently knocked over spoke his name. "Quasimodo?" He looked up to see his sister Miriam standing in front of him.

"What are you doing here?" I....I took your advice....About going to the festival. Oh, said Miriam. Ok. Miriam, a voice called from nearby. I've got to go. Try and be more carful all right. I will. Miriam ran off. Quasimodo stepped back through the empty tent and back to the festival.

"Topsy-turvy"

"Beat the drums and blow the trumpets"