Chapter 26: I Trust You

Cami POV:

"So what are we doing tonight?" I asked Charli for the second time.

I was exhausted and listening to her blabber on about the location of our double date wasn't high on my to do list. It was too early and the coffee I had practically gulped down hadn't kicked in yet. If Harry hadn't convinced me to spend the night at his place, I would have been somewhat attentive. Instead, I was forced to leave his place extra early so I could come back to mine and get ready for work.

It was a valid reason to tune out my best friend... at least in my opinion.

"Dinner at that new mexican place and then drinks at Bandit," she repeated impatiently.

I groaned at the thought of a long night spent in a loud club. Especially after I had finished my shift, the last thing I would want to do was participate in nightlife activities. Only issue was, I knew Charli and if she wanted to go on a double date tonight, we were going on a double date tonight.

"Can't we stay in and order pizza or something?" I knew it was a long shot, but I figured I might as well try.

"You and Harry are like hermits. You need to go out once in a while."

Harry and I did tend to stay in majority of the time, especially lately. I just found comfort in spending time with him when no one else was around. I wasn't embarrassed to be seen with him or anything, I just enjoyed the times where I was the only thing he paid attention to. He offered to take me to countless places that for some reason or another, always ended up as a night in between the sheets. I knew he was getting restless since he was rather spontaneous, so when Caleb brought up a double date, Harry jumped at the chance.

"Can't we just go tomorrow night?" I tried again.

"I gotta go, I start rehearsal in ten," she said, completely ignoring me.

She gathered her things and made her way to the door as if she hadn't heard my request.

"Charli?" I whined, following her to the door.

"Enjoy your shift and we'll see you at eight."

Her stubborn nature annoyed me to no end, but then again, it was why we were best friends to begin with. According to Charli, I was going out tonight and I seemed to have no other say in the matter.

---------------------------------------------

Not only was I already dreading going into work as it was, the sight inside only multiplied that feeling. Zayn was stood behind the counter, his dark hair pulled away from his eyes and Stan at his side. When I witnessed Stan hand him a uniform shirt, my stomach dropped.

Zayn had actually applied.

Zayn had managed to con his way into getting the job.

Why the hell did he and his friends have so much interest in winding Harry up? Getting a job to get close to me seemed like a lot of effort just to piss someone off. They were either extremely immature or they had ulterior motives.

"Ah, Cami! You're here." Stan expressed cheerfully.

That man had managed to be happy everyday I had seen him. He was never without a smile or encouraging advice and for that I refrained from yelling at him for allowing Zayn a shot.

"We were waiting on you," Zayn said with a smug smirk.

"Have you two already met?" Stan questioned, gesturing between the both of us.

I shifted my weight between feet and hesitated at answering. I didn't want Stan to think we were friends and to ruin my reputation when Zayn's performance failed. I also didn't want to deny it and later be contradicted. I waited a few moments, until Zayn decided to answer for me.