Chapter 18: Series Of Unfortunate Events

N/A: PART 5! Merry Christmas Eve everyone <3 WARNING: explicit sexual content bellow!

Cami's POV:

If there was ever a time to feel lazy, it was now. I had spent the last week studying for and completing exams and I was completely and utterly exhausted. To make matters worse, I had an eight hour shift at The Grind starting in twenty minutes. I had just dragged myself out of bed in the late afternoon and I was already thrust into the rush of getting ready. I hadn't bothered with any make-up, nor did I do anything with my hair but throw it into a ponytail. I pulled on my uniform shirt and the comfiest pair of yoga pants I owned and headed into the hallway. I looked to the time on my phone and instantly knew I would be late if I did not leave within the next five minutes. Charli sat on the sofa, eating breakfast without a care in the world. I would never understand how she always managed to be so carefree and relaxed. Even with exams of her own that she had to complete, she remained calm all week.

Once she heard me enter the kitchen, she turned her head over her shoulder and delivered a food filled smile.

"Aren't you gonna be late for work?" she asked in between bites.

I shot her a glare and she understood I was in no mood to talk. She held up her hands in defence and giggled to herself then turned back to the tv.

I grabbed a banana from the fruit bowl and told Charli I would see her later.

Once in front of the elevator, I pushed the button for the third floor and waited patiently. After waiting multiple minutes for it to open, I considered using the stairwell. Right before I was about to partake in the joyous exercise, the doors finally opened and I practically ran inside.

I could tell that today was going to be a bad day.

I waved hello to Doug and proceeded out to the parking lot. A wave of humidity washed over me as soon as I stepped into the blazing sun that was beating down on my all black ensemble. I hadn't remembered a December as hot as this in years and at this moment I was anything but greatful. I rushed to my car in search of some relief and blasted the A.C. as soon as I sat inside. Cold air flew through the vents for only about a minute before the second, of a series of unfortunate events, occurred. The hood of my car began to leak a thick stream of white smoke. The air filling the car gave off a scent of burning rubber and I frantically attempted to turn it off. I got out of the car and pulled up the hood, only for more smoke to invade my nostrils. I coughed a couple of times and waved my hand back and forth trying to clear the air around me.

Great.

My shift started in five minutes and the Camry decided today of all days would be the perfect time to break down.

I pulled out my phone and dialled Charli, my fingers frantically brushing over the screen.

"In a better mood yet, Cupcake?"

"My car just decided to try and kill me, so I'm gonna go with hell no!" I yelled into the phone and I could practically hear Charli wince at my volume.

"Eardrum officially broken."

I groaned and I rolled my eyes at her dramatic complaint. "Can I borrow your car please?"

"I have a dance workshop in LA in a couple of hours," she said sympathetically.

"Shit," I cursed.

Of course this had to happen. Why would I ever get a break on a day when I was in such a cranky mood.

"I'll come drive you. I should be back by later tonight so I can pick you up on my way back."

I sighed in relief that a solution had been found. I was most definitely going to be late but it was better than missing my whole shift.