Chapter 28: Be My Valentine

Cami's POV:

The last week had been sent straight from hell. Finding out your estranged Mother was lying in a hospital bed, on the verge of death tended to have that effect. I was so utterly lost and distracted in every aspect of my life. In short, I was a mess. I couldn't think straight or effectively complete one single task. I couldn't decide how I wanted to proceed with the news that had been delivered by my father and the endless possibilities were filling my mind. If I didn't go see my Mother before she passed, I wondered how I would feel knowing I had the opportunity to say goodbye and choose not to take it. On the other hand, it was her wish that I not see her and I questioned if I should respect that. The very selfish part of me questioned why I should bother going to visit her when she clearly cared so little for me. Either way, I had to make a decision before her condition progressed, and soon.

Harry had been so kind and caring, constantly checking in and making sure I was okay. He didn't force me to talk about things like Charli had and I appreciated it to no end. It was nice to have someone be by my side throughout this truly traumatizing ordeal. The tenderness Harry had been treating me with also made me feel extremely guilty for the timing of all this.

Today of all days, was Valentine's day.

Usually, not a Cami Ryder accepted holiday, but in light of my newfound relationship, I was forced to fall under the expectations for couples on this day.

I really was in no mood to be celebrating the cheesiest holiday of the year, but Harry promised he would keep things low key and it would be good for me. I realized he had a point and figured it may cheer me up to finally put myself together and face reality for the first time in days.

Meryl had given me a few days off, but sitting at home with no distractions was making things worse. I gave her a call early in the morning and told her I would be in for my shift. She sounded hesitant to allow it since she new the situation, but finally agreed once she heard the desperate tone in my voice. I needed a distraction, anything to keep my mind on something other than the image of my Mother lying frail in a hospital bed with machines being the only thing keeping her alive. Working on Valentine's day was the perfect way to ensure this. Every girl within a fifty mile radius would be dropping in for The Grind's holiday themed menu. Serving them would be the perfect way to clear my head.

I realized that I was alone in the apartment when I found the kitchen silent and empty. Charli had been kind enough to give me my space, which in the moment was exactly what I needed. Now a few days later, I found myself wishing she was here to see me off like usual. Instead, I poured myself a cup of steaming hot coffee and ignored the food around the kitchen. Just the thought of eating made me nauseous. I couldn't even think about stomaching food and the only reason I had eaten anything in the last few days was because Harry had forced me to. I took a few sips out of my mug before dumping the remaining down the drain. I pulled on my leather jacket and headed for the door, toward my distraction.

Waiting on the floor before me was a pink and red bouquet. I knelt to the ground and noticed they were an arrangement made up of, not typical roses, but my favorite flower of all, peonies. A tiny red envelope was resting in the middle of the gorgeous arrangement, taped on top of a CD case. A smile crept its' way on to my lips, being the first one since I had heard the news. Written inside was a handwritten note from the amazing boy I had come to center my happiness on.

I had a feeling you wouldn't be able to resist work today. Don't work too hard and listen to this on your way.

XX-H

The CD cover depicted the image of a large red heart and the words Cami's Valentine's Mixtape. It was hard to contain my chuckle at one of the smallest things he could have done to make my day. I wasn't the type to want or need expensive jewelry or dinners, just the simplest gesture of handpicking music for me, was more than I could have asked for.