Chapter 20

Christine's POV

My heart completely stops. My best friend tried to kill me?! I can feel my face pale, and everyone in the room is giving me sympathetic looks. This can't be true, why would Meg want to kill me?!

"She's being held at the police station, and she's refusing to talk." Erik says trying to break the awkward silence.

"I want to speak to her."

"No." All three men say at once.

"She was my best friend! I have to talk to her!" I almost scream at them

"Christine, there is no way I'm letting you go see someone who tried to kill you." Erik says, staying surprisingly calm. I look up to Raoul then to Nadir hoping one of them would back me up, but obviously I wasn't getting their help. I let out a frustrated groan. I get up and leave to the guest bedroom. I close the door hard, not loud enough to be a slam, but just enough to get the point that I'm upset across. I hear low murmuring in the den when I lean my ear up against the door. I can't believe they won't let me see her! I know meg wouldn't just all of a sudden come kill me. There has to be more going on here. I flop down onto the bed, my head spinning from all that's been going on. After a few minutes there is a light knock on the door. I really don't want to talk to anyone so I roll off the bed and lean against it, hiding myself from anyone who walks in the door. I hold my breath and wait. After a few seconds the door opens. I hear someone place something on my bed side table then I hear footsteps walking away. Once the door closes I look up to find 3 pills and some water. I quickly take the pills then return to my place on the floor. I curl up into the fetal position, and let the tears I've been fighting to keep back spill. I cry for a little while, and when no more tears will come I sit up with a bad headache. I glance over at the clock and see its 3:30 am. Suddenly I get an idea. I can just sneak out and see meg, find out what's going on then come home before anyone realizes I'm gone!

As quietly as possible, I open up the door. I take quite steps and find Raoul asleep on the couch in the den. I tip toe past him and then I see nadir asleep in the armchair across from the couch. I felt bad that I was sneaking out, when they cared so much about me. I just had to do this. They just didn't understand. I figured Erik was in our room, probably worried about me. I hated to do this to him. For a split second I thought about turning back. As I passed the music room I saw Erik slumped over his piano, asleep. I looked at him for a moment. "I'm so sorry." I whispered. I took another step forward and caused a floorboard to creek. My eyes widen and I slowly turned my head back to the music room. To my horror Erik wasn't there! I quickly turned to run, but after a few steps I ran into something in the dark. I shrieked and tried to run the other way but two strong arms wrapped around me. "No!" I shrieked. "Let me go!" Erik's arms only tightened as i squirmed. By now both Nadir and Raoul were up. Erik lifted me and carried me the couch. When he set me down I tried to dart up, but he put his hands on my shoulders, holding me down. I tried to fight against his grip, but it was no use. I never stopped struggling.

"Christine stop fighting me, you know you can't win." Erik said calmly yet sternly. I relaxed a little, but still put up a pathetic fight. My breathing got shallow and tears filled my eyes. My thoughts were getting all jumbled and the room started to spin. "Oh my God," Erik said turning to Raoul. "How many pills did you give her?!"

"Three" he replied. Erik's eyes widened.

"Please tell me you have her the Orange ones." He sat next to me and cradled my now limp body in his arms. I buried my head into his chest.

"N-no I have her the blue ones" Raoul's eyes widened as well. "What did I do to her?!" He asks frantically.

Erik sighs. "Well, let's just say we are in for a long night." I cry even harder into Erik's chest. I'm going insane. Suddenly I start seeing spots, which makes me panic even more. "Christine, deep breaths." Erik says calmly. "Don't black out on me." He turns to Nadir. "Get me water, and a wet cloth." He nods and goes to the other room. "Those pills you gave her, they will cause anxiety, hallucinations, and an over all crazy behavior."

"Why do you have those just laying around?!" Raoul asks still frantic. I can barley make out what they are saying. I'm trying so hard not to black out.

"If people ever came to close to finding my lair, I would force them to take these pills. They would think they imagined the whole thing. I've never had to use them, so I have no idea how long this will last. Dear God, you said you gave her three?!" He looked down into my dropping eyes. "You're going to be okay." He whispers then kisses my forehead. More tears fall from my eyes as Nadir walks in. I can't focus anymore. My vision starts to go fuzzy, and everything becomes distant. I can barley make out voices around me. They sound like someone's shouting at me, but I just can't grasp my thoughts. Slowly, blackness claims me.