Chapter 31

Raoul's POV

I briskly maneuver through the halls of the opera house, avoiding people the best I can. Tears sting my eyes and threaten to spill over as I think about Christine. I can still feel her warm lips on my undeserving mouth. It was a moment of weakness. I can never have her after what I did to her, and I know that. I've come to peace with that fact... but that doesn't mean I still don't feel the sting of heartbreak every now and then.

I let my emotions get the best of me when I drank that night I beat her. I was so lost and scared that I turned to alcohol. I made a big mistake that cost me everything. Sure I still have a big house, a title, and money, but what's the use of any of that if I have no one to share it with.

I swore away alcohol once I realized all the pain I caused Christine. I have still not forgiven myself for killing Christine's first child. I was a drunk fool, that hurt the only thing I wanted.

Once I reach the doors, and enter the cold night air I become determined. The only thing that matters is Christine and her safety. I have to buy her time so she can get out.

I barely make it down the stairs before someone roughly grabs my upper arm and yanks me into an alleyway. I look up to see two of Darius's goons, both a bit taller than my 5' 11" height.

"Where's the broad?" One of them asks. This henchman was the one that would make sure I didn't try to get out of my responsibility of taking Christine away from Erik. Darius picked him up in Italy I believe.

"She needs to get her stuff, then get away from that monster." I lie easily. "She's going to sneak out when he's asleep. I thought just leaving him a note would be much more heartless." I explain. "She is going to meet us at the edge of Paris, that way the chances of her being followed are slim."

The men nod their approval, then go to a waiting carriage down the street with me in tow. We head to the edge of Paris and I watch as the city flies by. I'm at peace knowing I am saving my little Lotte's life. I give them directions to an abandon warehouse that I know of on the edge of the city. We wait there for about an hour until Darius and a few more of his men show up. I begin to panic because Darius only brought 7 men with him to France, and two of them were not present. I silently pray that Christine made it out.

The next few hours consist of pure torturous stress. Darius's men take turns keeping watch, while the others play some card game. I sit in a corner enjoying my last few hours of life. Darius paces back and forth. After the fourth hour of waiting the last two of Darius's men show up. They have everyone's attention immediately.

"Well?!" Darius shouts.

"Sir, the girl is nowhere to be found." One of them reports. Darius literally growls as he turns to me with the fire of hell burning in his two black eyes. He ominously walks up to me, then pulls me up by my collar slamming me up against a wall for a second time that night.

"Where is she?" He asks through gritted teeth.

"Somewhere you'll never find her." I spit back. My head snaps to the side when Darius's fist comes in contact with my face. He throws me into the arms of one of his men, who hold my arms behind my back.

"To the opera house!" He growls.

Once we reach the opera house everyone is long gone. All that's left is the performers who live there, but they all should be asleep. I watch as six of the men travel all around the theater trying to find where Erik lives. It really is quite amusing that they don't even go near the trap doors, and I try my hardest not to laugh. If these are my last moments I'm going to enjoy it.

"Sir there is no sign of Erik or the girl." One of the goons reports. Darius growls again and turns to me.

"I'll give you one last chance vicomte." He grinds out. "Tell me where she has gone, or there will be hell to pay!" I stay silent. In a fit of rage Darius hits me again, knocking me the the floor. He leans down and his fist connects to my face a few more times. The light seems to be getting dimmer and darkness is closing in.

My thoughts begin to blur and I drift away from thoughts of survival.

Away from consciousness.

Away from Christine.