Chapter 24

Nadir's POV

My heart stops. Everything seems to be going in slow motion. This can't be happening. He can't be here. He couldn't have found us. But he has... He knows about Christine. But how... this is bad. I should have never brought Christine here. I need to do something.

"Gentlemen, this woman was obviously blackmailed. You need to figure out how to find this man, and get on finding him at once." I instruct the chief of police. He nods and hurries to get Meg somewhere more private. I grab Christine's hand. "We need to go back." I say.

"W-who is Darius Rahimi?" She asks as I pull her to the door. I pull her hood over her head.

"A bad man. Keep your head down and walk quickly." She's about to say something but I yank her out of the station and drag her back to the opera house. I look around to make sure we weren't followed, although it's probably hopeless now. If Darius knows about Christine, he must know about our whereabouts. When I finally got her back down to the lair, I was met with two very angry yellow eyes. Oh no.

"Where the hell have you been Nadir?!" Erik yells at me. "Why the hell is she crying?!" Erik quickly rushes over to Christine and pulls her close to him, so her head is resting on his chest.

"Erik, we have bigger problems." I tell him. He's going to go ballistic.

"You took her to the police station, didn't you?" He said in a dangerously low tone.

"Yes..." I say with a sigh. He clenches his fists. "But that's not our main concern. Meg was blackmailed. If she didn't shoot Christine, her blackmailer would kill her mother. Meg missed on purpose. She risked her mothers life, as well as her own to be sure Christine stayed alive." I explained. "The poor girl is terrified. She doesn't know if madam Giry was killed or not. She failed, so Antoinette may very well be dead." I say slowly. I see Erik's face fall. Fire rages in his eyes and its several moments before he finally spoke through clenched teeth.

"Who is doing this?" He says slowly.

"That's the worst part." I take a deep breath. "Erik... it's Darius Rahimi" that was enough to send him over the edge. His face pales drastically. He stands expressionless, yet you can see fear and anger swirl in his glowing eyes.

"W-who is Darius Rahimi...?" Christine asked for the second time tonight. She looks up at Erik with a worried look. Erik quickly pulls her against his chest again.

"I'm sorry... I'm so sorry mon ange..." he whispered.

"Please... Tell me what's going on." She pleads with Erik. He sighs and leads her to the couch. Raoul and I take a seat in the arm chairs.

"I-it was a long time ago..." Erik begins. "When I was living in Persia I worked for the Shah. Only I did something awful Christine. Truly awful." He looks down in shame. "I was an assassin." He paused, looking ashamed. Christine buried her face into Erik's strong chest as he continued. "Darius Rahimi was a powerful Persian aristocrat, who did not like the Shah. Darius was popular with people, and had many supporters. This frightened the Shah, so he threatened Darius. If he didn't swear loyalty to the Shah, bad things would happen to him. Darius refused to swear his loyalty so I was sent to...." he had to take a deep breath. "I was sent to kill his wife. Back then I didn't know how much lost love could break a person... but now I know... how hard-" he looks down at Christine, and a tear rolled down his cheek. He takes a deep breath. "He swore his revenge on me... and now he's found me.. and he knows about.... oh Christine... I've put you in danger." He wraps his arms tighter around her, trying to shield her from the rest of the world. "I'm so sorry..." Christine looked up at him.

"Erik.. what does this mean...?" She asked, fear evident in her voice.

"It means that you have a target on your back..."