Chapter 33

Erik's POV

I wake up to an empty bed, which is definitely not my favorite way to wake up. A sort of familiar panic starts to build up in me when I look around the room and can't find my angel. Then I hear coughing and a moan from the chamber room. I quickly shoot out of bed and stumble into the chamber room to find Christine throwing up. Instinctively I gently grab her hair and pull it out of her face, then rub her back.

"I'm going to die." She moans.

"Sh angel, you're not going to die. I would be very sad if you did." I say softly. I know I need to be gentle and delicate with Christine while she's carrying my child. I always try and be as gentle as possible with her. I guess some part of me still thinks that one day she may just disappear, or worse yet, I'll hurt her.

I grab my handkerchief and use that to tie Christine's hair behind her head. Then I wet a cloth and gently wipe her mouth. Once the wave of nausea has passed I help her off the floor and place my hand on her flat stomach. I wonder how long it will be before there's a bump.

"I'm not excited for this to be how I start the day for the next few weeks." Christine mumbles. My eyebrows shoot up.

"Few weeks? You mean this is going to happen for that long?" I ask surprised. I know absolutely nothing about childbirth.

"Unfortunately yes." She sighs.

"Well then I will do everything in my power to make it less grueling." She beams up at me.

"I could kiss you right now, but I think we should wait till I clean up." We both laugh and I kiss her cheek. She blushes then shoos me out of the chamber room so she can freshen up and get ready for the day.

I walk over to my carpet bag and pull out my clothes for the day. It's the usual attire, black slacks and a white shirt. I decide not to wear my jacket because it gets stuffy below deck. I roll my sleeves to my elbows, and fasten my mask to my face. Afterwords I slick back my hair and put on my shoes. Once I'm done I hear Christine come out of the chamber room in a simple lavender dress.

"Gorgeous, as always." I comment. She blushes then pecks my lips.

"You don't look to bad yourself." She replies.

"I'm going to go talk to Nadir about where we are going to be staying. Will you be okay by yourself for a bit?" I ask still concerned about her morning sickness.

"I'll be fine dear. Just hurry back."

"I promise."

"Love you."

"Love you too."

*

After two long days of being trapped in the stuffy boat that was to carry us to our new life, we finally arrived in New York. Once we docked Nadir and I grabbed our bags and walked off the ship with Christine in tow. I made sure to keep my hat low on my face and tried my best to avoid the stares of others. We docked in the morning so she was still feeling a bit queazy. Once we were able to flag down a carriage, we boarded and headed to a hotel.

Once we were situated and set in a nice hotel room, Christine suggested we go for a walk to get to know our surroundings. Nadir agreed and finally convinced me to go as well.

"So what do you think of the city love?" I asked Christine once we had walked for a while.

"It's quite interesting." She replied. "Definitely not like France." suddenly realization crossed her face. "I don't know any English!"

"I will teach you English, although it is pretty hard." I responded. "I'm sure you'll do fine seeing as you're already bilingual." My wife speaks Swedish and French. I, on the other hand, speak French, Swedish, English, and Russian. I was able to learn from books in all the free time I had. The opera ghost life is a lonely one.