1

"Maya, are you ready? We gotta get you to school!" You called, running a hand through your hair as you scribbled in your soulmate journal.

I have to go. I'm going to be late.

You looked at your watch. At this rate, you would be late for work. Again.

"Coming, Mama!"

Have a good day.

You smiled at the words that appeared in the journal as he wrote in it.

You, too.

"Have you eaten?" You asked as she came bounding down the stairs with her bag flying behind her.

She nodded, "Mhm."

"Okay, let's get you to school," you told her, putting your hand on her back as you guided her to the door.

You finally got her in the car and ready to get to school. You got there as quick as you could without getting pulled over.

As you pulled into the front of the school, you ran a hand through your hair. She got out of the car and you grabbed her bag for her before she forgot it.

"Bye, honey! Have a good day! Behave!" You called after her.

She smiled back at you and waved, "Bye, Mama!" She headed over and smiled at one of the students.

"Hi, Hope!" She exclaimed. The little girl smiled at her friend and they walked into the school together.

You were already out of the parking lot, however. You had to get to work quickly. You didn't need to be fired and you knew you were on the list.

You just needed to not be late and you would be fine.

But then a red light wouldn't turn green. Fuck.

When you eventually got to work, you were ten minutes late. You quickly threw on your apron and clocked in, hoping you wouldn't be noticed by your boss.

But then you were.

"Look who finally showed up," he grumbled, "You're late. Again."

You turned around and bowed your head, "Sorry, sir."

"You better have a good excuse this time, Y/L/N," he warned.

"I'm sorry, my babysitter has been sick with the flu and I don't have a replacement. When the bus comes, I would have already had to go and I can't leave my daughter alone, so I have to drive her to school myself," you spoke, rubbing your temples to soothe the headache rising.

He grunted, clearly tired of your misfortune. You'd been late all week and he wasn't having it. He wouldn't have much of a problem with it if you were a better employee, but you were always so tired because you went to bed late and got up too early.

You always tried and tried to be better, but it's like your life wouldn't allow it. You had Maya when you were 17 and, with everything that happened in the span of her eight years, you were so tired.

But you wouldn't trade her for anything. She was your daughter and you would always protect her.

"Very well. But you better figure something out soon. This is your only warning. If you're late again, you're fired. Understand?" He grunted, turning to leave.

You spoke in a weak voice after him, letting out a sighed, "Yes, sir. Sorry, sir."

You turned around and got to work. This was going to be a long day.

____

"Y/L/N, you got a call!" You turned around, excusing yourself to answer the phone call.