10

"It was wonderful to meet you, Y/N," Rebekah said as she hugged you. He then kneeled down to Maya, "And it was wonderful meeting you, too, little one."

She smiled and hugged Rebekah.

Hope came up and Maya turned around. She whispered something in Maya's ear and she giggled in reply. You tilted your head in confusion and Freya spoke, "Now, now, Hope."

She laughed and said, "Bye, Maya. Happy birthday."

"Thanks, Hope," she said, giving a suspicious wink and turning back to you. You questioned, "What are you planning?"

"Nothing," she said in a sing-song voice. You chuckled and finished up your goodbyes for the night. Elijah took you home afterwards. Maya quickly fell asleep in the back seat after just a couple of minutes in the car.

You smiled and looked at Elijah. His eyes were trained on the road in front of him and he had a soft smile on his face. He occasionally looked over at you, looking for that smile on your face.

When he caught you looking at him, his smile grew as he looked back for a little longer and then turned back to the road.

You looked away and down to your lap, blushing lightly. "Uhm, thanks for doing that. Maya and I had a lot of fun. God, I don't even remember the last time I've actually hung out with people like that."

"I'm glad. I wanted to do something nice for you since your parents weren't coming," he explained.

You smiled more, "You're always so kind to us. It's nice to have someone who cares. It's been some time."

He asked quietly, "What of your soulmate?"

You nodded, "Yeah, he's always cared. He's always been there. It's just nice to have someone new." He nodded, understanding you well.

He set his hand over yours, looking at you meaningfully, "I just want to make sure you're happy."

"I know. I am happy," you reassured him, turning your hand to hold his back. Elijah smiled and squeezed it lightly. He pulled up to your house and hesitated before getting out of the car.

"Who is that?" He mumbled.

You looked out, your brows knitting together. You moved your hand from Elijah's as you grew more alarmed at the mysterious car parked in the front of your house.

"Stay in the car," Elijah said, opening his door.

"What are you doing?" You questioned, worry in your eyes as you looked up at him. He was quick to reassure you, "I'll be fine. Just watch Maya."

You sighed and nodded, allowing him to step out of the car. He closed the door and walked over to the other car.

You reached in the back and unbuckled Maya, moving her into your lap in the front seat. You felt better with her closer to you.

She stirred and looked at you, "Mom?"

You kissed her cheek, "Hey, honey. Elijah's just checking someone."

"Who's that?" She asked, looking at the car parked in front of the house.

"That's what we're trying to figure out," you responded. You both watched as Elijah came up beside the door, knocking on the window to get their attention.

He started speaking to the driver, then he stopped to listen. He glanced over at you, brushing his bottom lip with his thumb, and then looking back at them and saying something else.

He stood there and moment, hesitating as he worked out something in his head. He turned and walked back over to the car. You rolled down the window and he took a moment before speaking, "He's here for you."