3

You really should have just stayed in with your daughter, writing to your soulmate.

Here you were on a "date" with Jake, if you could even call it that. It's like learning of you having a child swayed him from wanting anything to do with you.

Now you were sitting at the bar he took you to, twirling a drink in your little area while he hung out with the other girls in the bar.

You sighed and hoped Maya and Elijah were having a better time. She probably tricked him into playing Hide and Seek with her.

She scared the shit out of you once when you couldn't find her anywhere. She had found some way to hide in the dryer and had you searching up and down the street for her. When you got back to the house, red-rimmed eyes from crying, she came from her hiding place and surprised you.

You smiled at the memory, she made it up to you by attempting to make you breakfast in bed the next morning. You ate burnt toast and frozen sausage. You avoided the raw egg at all cost.

You let out a small chuckle and sighed. You told your soulmate all about it when you found her again. He was just as relieved as you were when he found out she was safe. You bit your lip and looked out behind you in the crowd to see where Jake was.

He was hanging out with three other girls on his arms, playing pool with another man at the bar. You had a feeling Jake wouldn't at least be taking you home. You would be taking the taxi then.

You paid for your drink with a smile at the bartender and left the bar, standing on the sidewalk waiting for a taxi.

When you got in one, you headed home finally. Pulling up to the house, you unlocked the door and walked in.

You were home early, so you didn't expect Maya to be in bed yet. But she was getting ready to if Elijah was as good as you thought.

You opened the door and they paused and turned to you. Elijah smiled at you, Maya on his back as he was headed down the hall.

You smiled at the sight and laughed lightly, "What are you two doing?" She closed the door behind her, walking over to them.

Maya giggled, "Elijah was taking me to my room! He was going to tell me a bedtime story before bed!"

You chuckled lightly, "Well, don't let me stop you."

"Tuck me in, too!" Maya exclaimed, holding a hand out for you. You smiled, "Okay. Let's go."

You switched her so you were holding her on your side. You carried her to her room and she crawled in bed, pulling the covers up over her and Elijah tucked her in.

"Tell me a new story," she requested.

You thought for a moment and turned to Elijah for suggestions. He decided to start, "Well, once there was a boy and a girl. They met in high school and liked each other very much, they were soulmates."

"Right," you nodded, "And he wrote her all of these poems and sang her songs just for her, and she loved him very much."

Elijah nodded, "He wanted to propose to her, he loved her so much that he wanted to be with her forever. So one night before they went to bed, he kneeled down on both knees and said: 'I know I am not wise, and I know that I may not be able to save the day. But look in my eyes and know I'll always be with you. Know that I will never run away'."

You smiled a little at the story, it was a little bit of a sad smile. Maya smiled at the things you were both able to come up with.

You continued, more fluent and confident in the story, "Years went by and they had a child, a little girl. She was funny and strange and they loved her very much."