Chapter 10

Leon and I ran towards the platform.

-Level one submersion system will engage soon. - The computer spoke through the speakers. - Ten, nine...

As I ran, I saw Angela was slowly retreating to the edge of the abyss, taking distance from that monster. The creature was getting closer and closer to her.

Then I directed my gaze to the front, Leon was ahead of me, he was very fast.

- Five, four, three, two, one. - Counted and I felt tremors on the ground.

Level one has been submerged.

I arrived with Leon and we managed to get on the platform. My heart was beating very fast.

The agent and I looked in Angela's direction.

The monster stopped when observed something on the surface. I was puzzled looking carefully. The creature grabbed it, apparently it was a photograph. The woman touched her pockets and kept aiming her gun at him.

Suddenly the monster began to scream and Angela lowered her weapon approaching him.

- Curtis! - She exclaimed worried.

- What the fuck? - I asked confused. - Is it him...?

- Yes. - Kennedy answered looking at the scene. - But he's not the same anymore.

- I don't wanna hurt you. - Curtis said within that aberration.

- We can save him! - I exclaimed hopefully looking at Leon.

- Remember, we don't have the cure, besides, if we had it, it's too late, his mutation is very advanced, the virus completely took over his body, soon it'll do so with his mind. - The blonde explained seriously.

We looked at them again and saw Angela stood firmly in front of what she used to call older brother.

- Warning, level zero submersion system will engage soon. - We heard again. - Ten, nine, eight ...

- Shit. - The American muttered.

He ran to the other side of the platform and it began to wobble and spin.

- Leon, wait. - I said but he didn't listen to me anymore.

I got a little dizzy and almost fell off the platform, luckily I managed to grab onto it in time. I clung to it and looked at the blonde coming to the other corner.

- Fiv, four, three, two, one. - Finished the count.

I gulped and held my breath for a moment.

The infected roared like a ravenous animal and just before he attacked the agent, Leon managed to hold her down and the level zero went down.

When it seemed that monster had fallen into the deep, a tentacle appeared and grabbed Angela's foot, stretching her next to Leon.

This caused the platform to rotate, loosening some cables.

- Ahh! - I screamed.

My body almost fell to the void, but I managed to hold on with my arms.

With an effort I looked in the direction of Leon, the blonde held the woman with all his strength and clung to the platform with one of his legs, but the monster was still alive, holding onto Angela.

- Damn it! - I mumbled.

- Laura! - Kennedy exclaimed and turned his gaze towards me.

- I think ... we're gonna die here. - I commented and laughed slightly.

The irony and sarcasm took hold of me and the situation made me panic.

- Let me go. Let go of me, damn it, or you'll fall too. - Angela suggested. - You can't die, you have to destroy these viruses.

The platform was falling more and more. He won't take anymore. We will die.

- Please, Leon! Don't try to save me! - She insisted.

- If you don't try to save one life, you'll never save any! - Kennedy exclaimed. - Isn't that right, Curtis?

The blonde with effort removed his pistol and aimed at the monster. He shot him straight in the head. The tentacle released the agent's leg and the creature fell into the abyss.

Flames surged from deep incinerating all levels and Curtis down there, until the void was sealed.

I watched as Leon grabbed the agent by both hands and they looked into each other's eyes for a long time.

What are these two up to?

- Ahem, ahem ... - I interrupted them coughing. - How are we supposed to ...?

Soon we felt the platform fall. The three of us screamed.

My hands slipped and I fell right under the platform, while the two officers fell slightly away from me.

- Ah, shit, my back. - I muttered in pain.

I looked to my side, Angela was on top of Leon. I just made a face.

I directed my gaze upward. The platform was going to fall on top of me.

- Laura! - I heard Kennedy's voice.

He pushed the woman aside and ran to help me.

He slid across the floor, grabbing me by the hip, and we turned twice to avoid the platform.

The American was on top of me. His knee was between my leg and his hand was still on my hip.

We looked into each other's eyes for a moment and I blushed.

I remembered that time, in Spain, he saved me from being crushed by a huge rock ...

"I noticed that the american was over me and we were on the ground.

- You smother me man. This is weird, get up. - I pushed him roughly throwing him to the ground. - At last pure air. - I sighed

- I-I'm sorry. - Leon said face up looking at the sky lying on the ground.

- Don't worry, I hate hugs but thank you anyway. - I commented while I stood up and shook me..."

Unlike that time, this time I decided to extend my arms and hug him, sticking him closer to me.

- Thank you. - I said weakly sighing.

We broke the hug and Leon helped me to my feet.

- Are you okay? - He wondered.

- Yeah, we just almost died. - I replied sarcastically.

Leon only shook with a half smile.

- Are you all right? - Angela approached.

- Wonderful. - I raised my thumb.

Suddenly the blonde's phone rang and he walked away to answer it. The woman and I are left alone.

- I'm sorry for what happened. - I decided to break the silence.

She just lowered her gaze.

- His wife and daughter were killed in the Raccoon City tragedy. - She muttered. - Curtis just wanted to do the right thing.

I was thinking and a little sad for the agent.

- You can make sure your brother's death was not in vain. You can fight for the truth. - I commented.

She looked up and determinedly nodded her head firmly.

- I have valuable information. - Leon interrupted us. - But first, let's get out of here.

We both nodded.