Chapter 8

When I got closer to the site, I heard a huge explosion, I got scared by taking a little jump and stopped abruptly, my heart began to race and I felt chills running through my skin. I could see how far away the flames were coming out of the windows.

I saw how a group of scientists came to my direction, I decided to stand aside without them noticing my presence and I watched as they ran out of the place.

After the area was cleared of white personnel, unsafe, I slowly entered the building. There was no one, the emergency system was activated.

- Attention all personnel, a system error has occurred, terminate immediately all activities and evacuate the dome until safe conditions are re-established and verified. - I noticed a voice in the speakers.

I approached a holographic screen showing the map of the building.

There were several sections blocked, I was frustrated without knowing where to go, after all, what am I supposed to do if I met the person responsible for all this? I have no weapon or anything to defend myself. But hey, I'm here.

I pressed the zero level, just which I heard earlier, on the radio, it was the place where they found an intruder. I took a quick look and sighed.

I decided to walk in that direction. As the door opened automatically, I saw the entire hallway being in chaos, cables sparking, walls smashed, glass broken. I walked in and felt the door close behind me.

I took a few steps forward and ...

- Aaahh! - I heard a woman scream.

Someone alive.

I quickened my steps and came to where that scream originated, it was in an office. I opened the door slowly, hoping not to find some kind of infected.

The office was a mess, papers everywhere and a huge hole showed what would be a dead garden consumed by flames.

My attention was interrupted by a groan.

- Claire? - I mused relieved and somewhat confused when I saw her on the ground.

It didn't take long for me to realize traces of blood on the surface, the redhead had injured her leg.

- Shit. - I whispered and went over to help her.

- Laura, what are you doing here? - She asked painfully.

- I ask the same thing. - I answered.

I held out a hand to help her sit on the floor. I could see a piece of glass impregnated on her left leg.

- Fuck ... We gotta see how to get it off. - I talked.

But Claire didn't hesitate to put in her effort and take it off herself.

- Aaahh! - She screamed.

- Are you crazy?! - I exclaimed surprised.

- Now I can get up. Don't worry about me, I'll be fine. - She commented agitated, throwing aside the piece of glass stained with blood.

I helped her to stand up holding her with my shoulders.

- What happened? - I asked curious.

- Bioterrorism. We have to call in reinforcements. - She answered. - Where's Leon?

- I don't know, the last time I saw him with the other agent. - I commented.

We left the office and headed back down the hall.

- And speaking of the king of Rome. - I mumbled.

We met Kennedy who had a gun in his hand.

- What happened? - The blonde asked lowering his gun and looked at me disapprovingly.