Chapter 23: A Serious Chapter about A Serious Man (part 2)

September 13, 2794. Tuesday.

"This was the sixth. You sure, you're alright?" The barman asked filling another glass to the top.

"Does it look as if I wasn't?" asked Max. "Continue."

The barman spoke, "As I told you, from what I know they want to conserve Milltown and disconnect it from the outside world. There are going to be at least five connected domes around the city. One will be protecting the Museum of George, two will cover the largest living quarters, and two more will be built on top of the farmhouses. They are also digging into the ground, making a maze of tunnels, at least ten vaults, the purpose of which is beyond my current knowledge.

"Max, you look like a clever man. You should see that the end of days is nigh. The Kerr has taken the monopoly of the Moonrise Enterprises, and we, mortals, have no clue what they are going to do with the power. They control everything: travels, science departments, public media, educational systems, space flights, energy distribution. The free and safe world the Enterprises once gave us was only a cleverly disguised illusion. Voting rights, city independence, courts, city security companies, time cops were needed to give the false sense that we, the people, are in control of our own little lives and give us a false sense of security.

"They are planning on doing something big soon because they are no longer trying to hide anything, nor do they try to keep the illusion of safety alive. You heard of the deaths happening around the globe, of explosions in the colonies. The future is heading for a very uncertain direction.

"Everyone knows that the world does not get better as time goes by and that's a fact. Give me another one," Max said and slammed the table with the glass," Now, tell me about the Museum of George. What has become of it?"

"Fifteen years ago the museum was closed and sold to the Enterprises. At first they built the walls around it, made it inaccessible for the local folk and the tourists. Hell knows what went on behind the walls all that time. Over the years, it has become an impenetrable fortress. No one is allowed to enter the place, and 'no one', here is literal. Approach the place at least hundred meters from any direction, including above or below and you will go bye-bye."

"There must be a way in. Do you know any?"

"There is a way, not an easy one."

"Does it look as if I prefer the easy way?" Max pointed a finger at his grim face. The cigar smoke poured out of his mouth.

"Man, why don't you just go away to live in one of the colonies? Take the well-deserved vacation and stop looking for ways to die. The roots and the fruits of this world are corrupted to the core. What is left here to fight for?"

"I fight crime, fix things. That's what I do. It's not in my nature to run." Max picked a coin from his pocket and flipped it in the air. It fell on the table. The large man filled another glass. "What about yourself? Why are you sitting in this dump?" The time cop turned to the left, to the right, then back at the barman. "I am correct, you know. This is a dump."

"The Venus Colony could be a fun place." The man paused. "But I need many permissions to get there. Perhaps I will gather enough fortune, find a woman and go there to get old."

"Right." Max put the glass on the table. "It's getting late. I better go find a place to sleep." After standing up, he added, "I'll come here tomorrow on nine AM and you can show me the secret way into the fortress. Is this fine with you? I'll pay generously. I promise."

"Yes. Don't get lost on the streets."

As Max went through the swinging door, he passed a limping man in the hood. The person was wearing a breathing mask and an eye-patch. A rare attribute to see on someone these days when the medicine was at its technological peak.