Chapter 34: Year 2792 (part 1)

A vehicle driving in the dusk over a sandy surface activated four propulsion engines and launched itself upwards dodging a massive rock. After its eight massive independent wheels touched the ground it continued rushing towards a giant glass dome covering a fourth of the horizon, a lone beacon of light in the engulfing darkness.

As the vehicle got closer, the contours under the dome changed from an irregular mountain with many hills to a stacked industrial city with factories standing by factories, transporters hanging on complicated chain system constantly moving from one building to another. Looking from the distance at the vehicle, its size in this alien landscape was difficult to grasp as there were no reference points to judge its height or length. The propulsion engines ignited once again. The machine jumped up into the air and slowly glided over crater four times its size. Before landing, it turned on the front lights which illuminated the ground below.

Inside the driver's cabin, many monitors showed images from outside, including the one of the landing spot.

"This should be a tough one," spoke the driver over the radio. He and the two passengers who were sitting in the far back wore protective suits with two gas cylinders on their backs, their space helmets with mirror glass concealed their identities. Everyone shook in their seats as the truck hit the ground.

The cargo took the largest part of the interior. Three massive, three stories tall containers filled with gray human sized rocks left enough space by the walls and in between them for an adult person to pass conveniently. The two passengers had no visual contact with the driver.

"You should take it slower, it would be quite inconvenient if we exploded to smithereens before arriving at the refinery," said the larger passenger.

"The sky here would not be the limit," replied the driver half-jokingly.

The smallest passenger, but wearing the largest space helmet of the three, added with a thin voice, "It would bring us closer to home." He turned the eyes to the roof, where through a long window he stared at a planet above, its three visible continents surrounded by a mix of smoky blue.

"July, are you sure the detonator is going to work?" asked the driver.

"The small man replied, "Of course it will. Who do you take me for?"

The driver did not sound convinced. "You made it using the instructions book."

"So?"

"It's the first one you ever made. Better double check it."

"Ok, old man, ok. So that you could feel better." The little man jumped to his feet and vigilantly strode to the middle container, showing discontent with his gestures. He climbed up the ladder and jumped inside. July easily fit through the gaps between the rocks. He crawled forward until he came upon an electronic board attached to a fist-sized smooth rock. None of its tiny light bulbs blinked. July slammed the side of the device with his hand and the light bulbs became alive.

He said, "Everything's fine. Works like a clock."

"Great, now get back here and strap up."

The small man crawled back and jumped over the edge. He glided slowly, turning round the corner of the container, navigating his way towards the back of the vehicle.

The moment July sat down, the machine stopped in front of the dome gate.

A commanding loud voice over the radio ordered, "Step out of the vehicle now!"

The three men listened. They stepped out of the five-story sized truck through an open airlock and walked down the stretched out stairs. A ball shaped drone, half a meter in diameter zipped passed them and then up into the vehicle. It had a cannon attached to the bottom and a wide scope for an eye. Two identical drones watched over the three men outside.